AMCAS 2008 and MCAT concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkhullar

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi Everyone,

I need some help.

I wrote the MCAT last yr(second year) without much preparation just to see what I will get. I didnt study much for it. It was a test run. This yr in July I am writing the MCAT seriously and will do well in it.

My AMCAS GPA is 3.7 and I got a lot of extracurriculars. Now the problem is that when I submit my application, it will be submit it with a low low MCAT score. I have checked the option that says that I am writing the MCATs again in July and they will get new grades?

My question is should I apply in June which everyone says to do, or should I wait till August when I get my grades for MCAT i am writing in July. Please help. As of right now, I only have a 22 on the MCAT and 3.7 GPA. But I know in August, I will have a 32+ on the MCAT and 3.7 GPA.

please advice?:)

Members don't see this ad.

apply early!!

Lots of people (me included) are applying in June with NO MCAT. Everyone in this forum says over and over that applying early is the key

apply early!!

Lots of people (me included) are applying in June with NO MCAT. Everyone in this forum says over and over that applying early is the key

But wont it look bad if I apply with a 22 MCAT than NO MCAT? Like I will pull it up but I wonder if I will better applying later. ANy other advices?

Members don't see this ad :)
Figure out which places average the MCAT scores and don't apply there.

Hi, I am sorry but this is really not answering my question.

Maybe I am more sort of looking for the advantages and disadvantages of applying early with a low MCAT score? Also do the pros outweigh the cons?:(

Hi, I am sorry but this is really not answering my question.

Maybe I am more sort of looking for the advantages and disadvantages of applying early with a low MCAT score? Also do the pros outweigh the cons?:(
Sorry, that was an added suggestion. You should still apply early, get your transcripts verified and schools will wait for your new score since you indicated you would be retaking.

How are you sure you will jump from a 22 to a 32?

How are you sure you will jump from a 22 to a 32?

Because I am getting 30's right now across the board and I am studying hard?

SO are there really no cons of applying now with a LOW MCAT?

i think when you check the box "taking Aug. MCAT" (or something to that effect) they don't look at your pre-existing scores like Dr. BowTie said.

this is good, b/c it means your 22 wont get you screened out of most places (i think).

it's also a little bad b/c it means that if you're taking the aug. MCAT, no matter what, your app will be delayed b/c those scores come out late, and the adcoms will wait for them.

:luck:

apply early!!

Your application will generally not be considered AT ALL without an MCAT score. Most schools (that don't screen) will send you a secondary and it will speed up the verification process but you won't be considered complete without an MCAT score. Thus, waiting for your MCAT really won't do you much harm. If you apply in June and your MCAT doesn't come out until September, you might have well just submitted your application in August.