AMCAs activities and volunteer work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I dont know if these questions go here, but I am ask them anyway. I did about a semester's worth of volunteer work in tutoring/playing games with a group of needy children in High School. Now I will be in my undergrad Senior year in the Fall. My question is that can I list that particular volunteer work I did in high school on my AMCAS when I fill those apps out? Also when I was a Freshman as an undergrad, I tutored a friend for the whole summer in his Gen Chem course that he was completing in the summer. I mean the course was accelerated. Will this hold credibility as a volunteer work on my apps?

Members don't see this ad.

Helping a friend w/ his course doesn't really count has a credible volunteering. Although if he paid you it would probably count as a job. And no to the high school thing. And "needy" is not a good term to use to describe people you are helping if you wanna make a good impression on adcoms (although it might be true)

Actually I didn't mean needy; i meant handicapped children. I played games with them, talked with them, etc., but it was done in hi school only...

woodhorse22 said:
Actually I didn't mean needy; i meant handicapped children. I played games with them, talked with them, etc., but it was done in hi school only...
yeah, no highschool stuff unless you've continued doing it