AMCAS Activities- Format of shadowing experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-wildered

Long live snug seal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am working in my AMCAS experience/activities -shadowing part and having a little bit of doubt how to best format this one.

I found several examples online , however I would like to know someone who successfully was able to integrate all information eloquently and successfully.

I've shadowed so far 4 different doctors and possibly I will add a couple more. I would like to use only one experience slot for this.
I was thinking to use the following format:

"* John doe 1 M.D, Pathologist. 13 hours at Hospital Name.

*John doe 2 MD, Internal Medicine. 40 hours at his Clinic.

* John doe 3 MD, Chief Allergy/Immunology. 12 hours at Hospital Name.

* John doe 4 D.O, dermatology resident. 12 hours at Hospital Name."

I am afraid if I start to add descriptions to each doctor I will easily go over the 700 character limit, so maybe I could add a brief description in the end for all of them ?
I was wondering if the contact info is that important and the actual dates that I shadowed them?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused. Are you wanting to add in their credentials into the experience box summary? Because you shouldn't do that. Medical schools don't want to know what a doctor that you shadowed did, they want to know what you did with the doctor that you shadowed if that makes sense. Talk about how that experience impacted you for sure.

Contact info is nice just in case and the actual dates should be very close to what you really did do. Of course you don't have to be exact, but don't exaggerate in case an ADCOM does contact the office.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused. Are you wanting to add in their credentials into the experience box summary? Because you shouldn't do that. Medical schools don't want to know what a doctor that you shadowed did, they want to know what you did with the doctor that you shadowed if that makes sense. Talk about how that experience impacted you for sure.

Contact info is nice just in case and the actual dates should be very close to what you really did do. Of course you don't have to be exact, but don't exaggerate in case an ADCOM does contact the office.

I am adding several doctors to one experience-slot. Therefore I was going to use the summary box to state the name and places of the additional doctors that I shadowed, since you can only add one name in contact - experience information heading. I don't want to use an experience-slot for each doctor that I shadowed. Also, I figure whoever is reading my app knows what shadowing means, therefore stating the doctors specialty will provide a rough idea of what I did -saw it.
So, after I stated the additional doctors that I shadowed in the summary-description area. If I have any characters left available I could probably mention briefly what I got out all of the all of the shadowing combined that I've done. does that make sense ?

Thanks for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your format is good. I don't know if you need to add a description of what you/they did; I thought shadowing was self explanatory so I didn't include anything beyond the info you've listed out

I am adding several doctors to one experience-slot. Therefore I was going to use the summary box to state the name and places of the additional doctors that I shadowed, since you can only add one name in contact - experience information heading. I don't want to use an experience-slot for each doctor that I shadowed. Also, I figure whoever is reading my app knows what shadowing means, therefore stating the doctors specialty will provide a rough idea of what I did -saw it.
So, after I stated the additional doctors that I shadowed in the summary-description area. If I have any characters left available I could probably mention briefly what I got out all of the all of the shadowing combined that I've done. does that make sense ?

Thanks for the response.
Ah, got it. Yeah that should work out pretty well and if it was meaningful, use one of your three slots for extra characters. It all depends though what you think is right based upon your other experiences. As long as you state what you learned in the summary you will be fine.

I think your format is good. I don't know if you need to add a description of what you/they did; I thought shadowing was self explanatory so I didn't include anything beyond the info you've listed out
I agree with @PantherPride. My description box for shadowing looked almost identical to the format OP posted. Explanation for clinical volunteering? Of course! Shadowing? Doctors know what doctors do, and they know what students do while shadowing.

Edit: Yeah, I just checked my primary and this is what mine looked like OP:

Month+Year - Facility/Location - Field - Hours - Doctor - Contact email

Several lines of that.

One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box):

** December 2011-Present: 35 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, Alabama, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555, ext 34

**April 2012-Present: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, General Practice. [email protected] Able to observe a vaginal delivery.

**March 2012-Present: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, Alabama, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556 ext 45

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, General Surgery, Meridian, Mississippi. [email protected] Observe a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone for the feedback.