AMCAS activities - Include undergrad scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopperStripes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a four-year full-tuition and -room achievement-based scholarship at my school. Is this something I should include in the activities section of the AMCAS?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Surely there are other applicants who have this very same problem. Somebody must know the answer!

I would love to know the answer to this as well...should we mention merit-based scholarships on the AMCAS or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did. I couldn't imagine that it would hurt.

I put all my school-related scholarships/awards in one slot (full-ride, dean's list, departmental awards...).

tennisguy896 said:
I put all my school-related scholarships/awards in one slot (full-ride, dean's list, departmental awards...).

This is a good idea, and many people do this. So, absolutely, you should include your scholarship! Put all of your scholarships/awards in one slot on the AMCAS, and describe them if school-specific. This would be an appropriate place to describe your achievement scholarship.

tennisguy896 said:
Thats stupid for some students.

I received very distinguished awards that are only offerred to a select few (i.e. 1 or 2 students within the university) and will put them down as separte awards b/c they are worthy of their own slot!

:smuggrin:

PittMedicine said:

I received very distinguished awards that are only offerred to a select few (i.e. 1 or 2 students within the university) and will put them down as separte awards b/c they are worthy of their own slot!

Sorry, but I don't consider an award worthy of its own slot unless I had to compete for it nationally (Goldwater).

PittMedicine said:

So, I got a fairly impressive scholarship that was given to about a dozen people per entering class and while i don't know the exact total undergrad enrollement at our school i would say atleast 35,000+. Do you think that this is worth its own slot or should i consolidate it with other scholarships?

Disclaimer: I haven't applied before so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

That said, I think it's smarter to put them all in one slot. While it is good to show that you've been recognized for your achievement, it just doesn't seem that wise to use multiple slots up for awards. The activities section, I feel, shoud ideally consist mainly of events that contributed to your growth as an individual as well as flesh out your interests to those who are reading your resume. Winning an award is nice, but really it doesn't affect who you are as an individual (besides giving you a nice ego boost), rather it's better to focus on the activities and traits about yourself that allowed you to WIN the award in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

Put all your school-related awards and honors in a single spot on the AMCAS, unless it's something like the Truman or Goldwater that was selected from a national competition of undergraduates (or other students, depending on where you are now.)

CopperStripes said:
I have a four-year full-tuition and -room achievement-based scholarship at my school. Is this something I should include in the activities section of the AMCAS?

Thanks for your help.

wait...so they didn't pay for your food? Bastards.

sloth said:
If you put all your awards into one slot, what would you enter for the award date? Thanks!

I think I'm just going to put my college attendence dates, then individually label my awards and scholorships.

Dr.Acula said:
So, I got a fairly impressive scholarship that was given to about a dozen people per entering class and while i don't know the exact total undergrad enrollement at our school i would say atleast 35,000+. Do you think that this is worth its own slot or should i consolidate it with other scholarships?

In my opinion this really depends on the other activities you have. If you have 15+ impressive activities, definitely place all honors/awards in one slot (no matter how prestigious - you can get to that in your explanation if need be). It really depends on the range and breadth of the activities you will be using on your AMCAS.

WayChanger said:
This is a good idea, and many people do this. So, absolutely, you should include your scholarship! Put all of your scholarships/awards in one slot on the AMCAS, and describe them if school-specific. This would be an appropriate place to describe your achievement scholarship.

Okay...I know this might sound stupid, but I was awarded a full ride to an undergraduate institution that i did NOT end up going to...is it still acceptable to list this?

georgeomally said:
Okay...I know this might sound stupid, but I was awarded a full ride to an undergraduate institution that i did NOT end up going to...is it still acceptable to list this?

oh my. No that would just add more confusion to the application. Keep it simple but distinguishable, adcoms are going through tons of apps.

I put all my school scholarships (including Nat'l Merit) in one slot though I agree with the reasoning about Goldwater or Truman. That should have a seperate slot if you can spare the room.

CopperStripes said:

Thanks for your help.

Scholarships depend on a few things.......

They are worth mentioning if it is like a prestigious award that only very few people achieve in receiving. However, if they are something that is of a common occurrence such as Florida Bright Futures scholarship then they are not worth listing.

This might be something you want to write in a couple of lines in your personal statement but not something I'd put in an activity unless it was some sort of prestigious award that you were selected out of 1000's of candidates or something to that extent.