AMCAS activity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brah of Science

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I had a question on how I should put this on my application. I was awarded a scholarship/funding at my undergrad institution, which is directed at increasing underrepresented students in research. It is a two year program, however, I was only able to partcipate for 1 year. I had to make the difficult decision to leave to program due to circumstances within my family. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say that I was unable to guarantee my full commitment to the program.I was just wondering how this will affect how adcoms view me. Should I even put it on my application?

Thank you in advance for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a section of the AMCAS where you list what proportion of your college expenses were met by yourself, your parents, merit aid, need based aid, other... maybe other categories that I've forgotten. No one will know that you would have had funding for 2 years but only used one year (so you list 15% rather than 30% or whatever). If you were going to list this as a "honor" or you were going to list your participation in the program and people reading the application were familiar with the program and wondered why you dropped out after a year, then you might be asked to explain but there is nothing that obligates you to put this on your application if you'd rather not talk about it.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a section of the AMCAS where you list what proportion of your college expenses were met by yourself, your parents, merit aid, need based aid, other... maybe other categories that I've forgotten. No one will know that you would have had funding for 2 years but only used one year (so you list 15% rather than 30% or whatever). If you were going to list this as a "honor" or you were going to list your participation in the program and people reading the application were familiar with the program and wondered why you dropped out after a year, then you might be asked to explain but there is nothing that obligates you to put this on your application if you'd rather not talk about it.
Thank you for the response! Its not that I would rather not talk about it, but that I was just worried how it would be perceived.