AMCAS : All Questions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I have already submitted my AMCAS, and had it varified, can I still add schools to it? If so, is there any downside to doing this. (Let's say I submitted my AMCAS at the beginning of June and it was verified a week later, and now at the end of June I want to add some schools to it. Does this work?) Thanks!

Potato!

Members don't see this ad.

Off the AMCAS Website:
"To designate additional schools once you have submitted your application to AMCAS, you must re-enter your AMCAS application, select the additional schools you wish to designate, and re-certify and re-submit your application to AMCAS."
-Will AMCAS have to re-verify your app if it's already verified?
-Anyone have experience with adding schools after the submitted AMCAS? Thanks

Bump!
I think this thread is so long that no one wants to read it anymore. Can anyone answer my above question? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Potato! said:
Off the AMCAS Website:
"To designate additional schools once you have submitted your application to AMCAS, you must re-enter your AMCAS application, select the additional schools you wish to designate, and re-certify and re-submit your application to AMCAS."
-Will AMCAS have to re-verify your app if it's already verified?
-Anyone have experience with adding schools after the submitted AMCAS? Thanks

I did it. They don't re-verify.

If my parent is now retired, what do we select as their "Occupation Category?" I didn't see a "retired" option, so do we select what position they held prior to retirement?

I emailed AMCAS, and they said to do whatever I want. They suggested that I could put "other".

Thanks,

-tx

I just tried to enter my personal statement, which is 5210 characters long, and every time I hit "Save" or "Finish" the stupid thing cuts off my essay at 4922 characters. I can type in more, but the same thing happens again if I hit Save or Finish. I've tried pasting from Notepad, and I've tried typing directly into the box. Neither seems to make a difference. Is anyone else having this problem?

Hi Everyone,

I've got a quick q about entering transcript information on the AMCAS application: on Columbia's transcripts, all courses are entered in capital letters, and some courses are abbreviated. For example, one of my courses is listed as :EURPN LIT-PHILOS MASTRPIECS I. Should I enter this exactly as it appears on my transcript (including the capital letters)? or should I write out the full name of the course, even though it isn't abbreviated on my transcript?

I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me :) Thanks!

docjolly said:
Hi Everyone,

I've got a quick q about entering transcript information on the AMCAS application: on Columbia's transcripts, all courses are entered in capital letters, and some courses are abbreviated. For example, one of my courses is listed as :EURPN LIT-PHILOS MASTRPIECS I. Should I enter this exactly as it appears on my transcript (including the capital letters)? or should I write out the full name of the course, even though it isn't abbreviated on my transcript?

I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me :) Thanks!

I used the exact abbreviation and worked really hard to make sure I didn't misspell any of the lame abbreviations. That was tough. I didn't stress over capitalization.

It's all about making the job easy for the data verifier.

MoosePilot said:
I used the exact abbreviation and worked really hard to make sure I didn't misspell any of the lame abbreviations. That was tough. I didn't stress over capitalization.

Thanks a million, Moosepilot :)

Hey guys I just received an email from AMCAS stating that one of my transcripts was incomplete?? In the email an incomplete constitutes, "Academic information on transcript incomplete."

Now it won't allow me to print a transcript request form because it has already been submitted...what do I do? Can I send in a transcript without the form? And how do I make sure it's not incomplete next time?

ifailedmcat said:
Hey guys I just received an email from AMCAS stating that one of my transcripts was incomplete?? In the email an incomplete constitutes, "Academic information on transcript incomplete."

Now it won't allow me to print a transcript request form because it has already been submitted...what do I do? Can I send in a transcript without the form? And how do I make sure it's not incomplete next time?

Email them back and ask these questions.

MoosePilot said:

Extra style points for listing classes in Coursework in the same order as they appear on your transcript.

docmemi said:
im not sure. but since no one is answering. ill try. have you gone to the schools attended section and look for a remove button or somethingl like that??

yeah - but there is nothing? I just need to change the dates attended for the univ.

anyone know how ???

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay,

I'm submitting my AMCAS application in today. I haven't even submitted my transcript requests in. Am I screwed? (taking mcats in August)

Help! I know I can't do anything about it, but need some advice anyhoo.

Someone please help me. I am also about to submit. For some reason, the AMCAS application section "coursework" left no option for entering spring 2004 grades. I entered the coursework under "OT" for "other term." Is this okay? I keep checking back and it has no "2004 S2" option.

NubianPrincess said:
Someone please help me. I am also about to submit. For some reason, the AMCAS application section "coursework" left no option for entering spring 2004 grades. I entered the coursework under "OT" for "other term." Is this okay? I keep checking back and it has no "2004 S2" option.

I think Spring 2004 would be classified as S2 2003 in the dropdown menu. And that doesn't exist?

penguinol said:
I think Spring 2004 would be classified as S2 2003 in the dropdown menu. And that doesn't exist?
Edit - Nevermind, going to work on this some more :(

NubianPrincess said:

Spring 2004 is 2003 S2 (academic year 2003)

You gotta enter Spring 2005 in order to get 2004 S2

-tx

Haha. I see what I did. Thanks. I did most of it correctly, I am glad I didny have to re-enter ALL my courses again :D

i was wondering how long after u once submit ur amcas do they actually certify it? thanks.

I was an electrical engineering major in college; for my AMCAS course work, I put all of my EE courses as "engineering" (seemed obvious to me at the time, and I didn't realize that science GPA was BCPM..). However, as an EE many of my courses were pretty much physics courses... like electromagnetic fields and energy. Do you think there's any chance they'll change it to a physics course? What criteria do they use for changing the course category during verification?

In reviewing my AMCAS while filling out secondaries I realize that I accidentally put one of my Fine Arts courses as BIo!! Now I'm freaking because I don't know if I should submit a change or just go with the flow and deal with any questions I get in interviews and such. I compared my GPA to what it would be without the class: +.02 points for BCMP -.01 points for other and my overall stayed the same. What happens when an academic change is requested? Will it significantly delay any secondaries I will get? I have already received 4 by e-mail. PM me if anyone can help.

edit: between writing this reply and submitting it someone else wrote the same question i had!! no intentional repitition i swear.

AndEE, I dont think theyll change it. I had to put all of my biomedical engineering classes as engineering even though they were all completely bio courses. It sucks but o well

Question:

I took a lame information technology class in college for no reason but to UP my gpa, and i got the lowest grade I ever got in college b/c of that course. I got a B- so I repeated and got an A. My transcript lists the first course without a grade and lists it the second time as an average of the two grades. I'm not sure what I put on AMCAS b/c it seems like im supposed to enter everything but jeezes, do they really care about grades that arent counted? its going to #%#$# up my GPA!!

el searcho no resulto- can I remove schools from my amcas list after I submit? I know they have no problem taking more of your money when you want to add schools after submitting but I have a feeling there will be no refunds if I decide to remove the Sadam University in Iraq from my list after I submit.

Does anyone know if it looks bad to have a bunch of "X's" on your AMCAS transcript. I don't know what the hell they "corrected" but I have tons of X's on my transcript under the "AMCAS Use" column in which they say that it represents a "course verified with correction" which unfortunately makes me sound incompetent.....