AMCAS and Future MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overfloater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if AMCAS automatically releases MCAT scores even if you don't put down that you are taking a future MCAT?

I am asking because I want to apply now with the score I have now and still take an August/September MCAT to see if I can improve my score. I am not putting down in my application that I am taking a future MCAT. My hope is that if I improved I could email a school and let them know and If I didn't improve than they would not know.

Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the exact same situation, but no one will give me a straight answer on this!

If I'm not mistaken, any MCAT tests that you take after a certain year (I think it was 2003) will automatically be released to medical schools. So, unless you void the test, they'll know your score. :\

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm not mistaken, any MCAT tests that you take after a certain year (I think it was 2003) will automatically be released to medical schools. So, unless you void the test, they'll know your score. :\

Would it be free for the new scores to be sent to all schools that you apply?

Don't quote me on this, but I would think it's free. Technically you pay to send out your application to the schools, and this app includes you MCAT scores. I don't see how they would charge you to send out the second scores.

If they did charge, then you wouldn't have to worry about school's getting your new scores because if you didn't pay for it, they wouldn't receive them. But I don't think that's the case.

I would call AAMC to verify that before I made any decisions.

Does anyone know if AMCAS automatically releases MCAT scores even if you don't put down that you are taking a future MCAT?

I am asking because I want to apply now with the score I have now and still take an August/September MCAT to see if I can improve my score. I am not putting down in my application that I am taking a future MCAT. My hope is that if I improved I could email a school and let them know and If I didn't improve than they would not know.

Any help?

Yes, they get sent out, however if you don't select 'future MCAT date' then you'll be judged on your current score. By taking an August/September retake this may mean you'll be declined before you receive you're new test score in mid-late September. However, if you select you'll be taking a future MCAT you'll be on hold until the score comes in. Either way you won't be able to hide a poor score. The downside to your method is that if you didn't score competitively on your first go around, you're not letting them see your best hand when a new and improved score comes in.

Any help?

What are your current MCAT scores, if you don't mind sharing this info here?

Yes, they get sent out, however if you don't select 'future MCAT date' then you'll be judged on your current score. By taking an August/September retake this may mean you'll be declined before you receive you're new test score in mid-late September. However, if you select you'll be taking a future MCAT you'll be on hold until the score comes in. Either way you won't be able to hide a poor score. The downside to your method is that if you didn't score competitively on your first go around, you're not letting them see your best hand when a new and improved score comes in.

I'm in a similar situation but do not know my current score. I took my first MCAT on June 18th but would like to submit my primary this week. I am having a hard time predicting my score so I already signed up for another MCAT in the first week of Sept in the event that I don't get 30+ but may cancel it in case I do get an ok score. What would be worse 1) saying I'm planning on re-taking in sept, being put on hold but then asking schools to only consider the first score if it comes back ok in july or 2) disclosing the 18th as my only score, possibly being rejected right away from some schools if it's a bad score, informing individual schools about my re-take plan on july 21st if my score sucks and then being put on hold?

I'm in a similar situation but do not know my current score. I took my first MCAT on June 18th but would like to submit my primary this week. I am having a hard time predicting my score so I already signed up for another MCAT in the first week of Sept in the event that I don't get 30+ but may cancel it in case I do get an ok score. What would be worse 1) saying I'm planning on re-taking in sept, being put on hold but then asking schools to only consider the first score if it comes back ok in july or 2) disclosing the 18th as my only score, possibly being rejected right away from some schools if it's a bad score, informing individual schools about my re-take plan on july 21st if my score sucks and then being put on hold?

Honestly, someone else would know better, and hopefully than can help you. Someone who knows the specifics a little better or who has actually gone through the application process. I don't know the answer to that.

What are your current MCAT scores, if you don't mind sharing this info here?

10, 9, 8, 27. I got rejected sans interview from 3 in state schools and I'm still on the waiting list at another.