Amcas and Verification of Summer Transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y0ter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding summer classes and AMCAS transcript verification, does having my application verified by the end of June mean that there is no way for me to take summer classes? Or is there a way around this without delaying my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding summer classes and AMCAS transcript verification, does having my application verified by the end of June mean that there is no way for me to take summer classes? Or is there a way around this without delaying my application?

You might want to call AMCAS and ask. What summer school classes? Why are they so important to have on the primary?

So my advice would be to turn in the primary the first day you can (i.e. early June), and then send updates the schools with grades from summer school classes, etc. In general having those summer school classess on the AMCAS will probably not outweigh the disadvantage to applying late.

I turned in my AMCAS late August, was verified late September. By the time I was filling out secondaries, some people were already being accepted. Applying to med school is enough of a crap shoot (high stats don't gauruntee acceptance). You want to take the advantages where you can get them, and applying early is a big one.

Thanks sawood. I'm one of those non-trads fighting a low gpa. I want to submit as early as possible, but at the same time I would like to continue with my post-bacc classes. But the priority is to get the application in as early as possible. So, if taking summer classes = late verification, I'm gonna scratch it from my plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks sawood. I'm one of those non-trads fighting a low gpa. I want to submit as early as possible, but at the same time I would like to continue with my post-bacc classes. But the priority is to get the application in as early as possible. So, if taking summer classes = late verification, I'm gonna scratch it from my plans.

I would almost suggest doing it anyway so that you can send positive updates to the schools that you did apply to.

How low is the low GPA you are fighting (if you submit in June)?

Stats aren't everything. But if the GPA is below a certain point, I would consider waiting a year to apply and then taking a year's worth of classess to raise it. Applying is expensive, time consumming, and emotionally draining, you don't want to do it twice.

Things that also can help offset a low GPA is the MCAT, experience since your undergrad, and your state of residence.

But, if you are going to apply this coming year, then definetely apply as early as possible.

:luck: Good luck. I was also fighting a low GPA from my undergraduate years so I know the frustration. It will all work out in the end.

AMCAS verifies your application based on the transcripts that you send at the time that you send them. If you are dependent on summer coursework, then you need to wait until that coursework is done. Some schools will allow you to send an updated transcript but this policy is school-dependent.

Earlier is better but if summer coursework makes a significant change in your application, it's probably better to wait. If not, indicate that you have coursework in progress and send an update.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

My gpa is currently hovering around the 3.00 range. I'm in the midst of taking a couple of classes this semester, but it won't affect my overall by much. I will have completed 20 post-bacc credits by May and I want to keep going.

But the problem is that I already took the mcat, 11v,12p,12b, so the clock is running! I had some work obligations that I needed to wrap up so I was in no position to start with the classes. So I have this '09 cycle and '10 cycle.

My Ec's, volunteered at an ER, 150 hours.
3rd and 4th author publications several years ago.
Currently working for a physician (office work).
I have a diverse resume as well. But that doesn't always get looked upon in a good way. There's that issue of commitment.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

My gpa is currently hovering around the 3.00 range. I'm in the midst of taking a couple of classes this semester, but it won't affect my overall by much. I will have completed 20 post-bacc credits by May and I want to keep going.

But the problem is that I already took the mcat, 11v,12p,12b, so the clock is running! I had some work obligations that I needed to wrap up so I was in no position to start with the classes. So I have this '09 cycle and '10 cycle.

My Ec's, volunteered at an ER, 150 hours.
3rd and 4th author publications several years ago.
Currently working for a physician (office work).
I have a diverse resume as well. But that doesn't always get looked upon in a good way. There's that issue of commitment.

That's a great MCAT score. Your GPA will probably hurt you the most, but if the spring classess won't make a huge impact on your GPA neither will a few summer classes. I forgot how long you're able to use a particular MCAT score?

Just apply very early and very very broadly (20+ schools). Hopefully you are from a state that shows love to its residents (i.e. not California).

Also, do awesome on your personal statement and secondary essays, put in the time and have several people review it (who have grammar and persuasive writing skills). Don't apologize for the low GPA (or for anything else), but do briefly address it in a positive way using positive wording in your personal statement.

Also, ask around and search the threads for which schools are nontrad-friendly and not obsessed with stats.

Good luck :luck:

thanks sawood. will do.

Well, got word from AAMC that they will be able to verify my application without summer transcript submittal. So it looks like I'll be taking summer classes. But now the problem is which ones can I take?

There aren't any upper-level science classes offered during the summer, but for the sake of improving my gpa in the shortest amount of time I want to keep going. Is there a problem with enrolling in classes like Meteorology and Oceanography? Both are offered and I'd like to take them at the same time. How is a class like Health and Nutrition looked upon by adcoms?

Well, got word from AAMC that they will be able to verify my application without summer transcript submittal. So it looks like I'll be taking summer classes. But now the problem is which ones can I take?

There aren't any upper-level science classes offered during the summer, but for the sake of improving my gpa in the shortest amount of time I want to keep going. Is there a problem with enrolling in classes like Meteorology and Oceanography? Both are offered and I'd like to take them at the same time. How is a class like Health and Nutrition looked upon by adcoms?

Did you take any of your prereqs as AP credits? If so, you could take those...