AMCAS: AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geneman

The Transgenic Hobo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted already but what was the consensus answer to:

Under which school year do I list AP credit courses?

I currently have them under 1998 "other term".

Members don't see this ad.

According to AMCAS, these classes should be entered under high school since you took before officially entering college. But if you do it, these clases may be not counted in your undergrad. GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
umm actually, pg 50 of the amcas instruction book: "The following AMCAS grades do not have weight or value in computing the AMCAS GPA: G Used to indicate AP credit no assigned a letter grade" unless your college does give letter grades to AP.

and page 37: "assign freshman status to advanced placement...awarded when you first entered college"

Actually Spiderman,

you read the instructions incorrectly. APs are supposed to be listed as 1st semester FRs.

-Bill

Hey guys. AP certainly goes under FR year. But...what term? Someone said first semester. But I can't find that written anywhere. It makes sense, but so does OT (other term). How can we find out for sure.

I listed tham as Freshman last year...here's what I did and I got into med school this year, so it worked :wink: Michigan is on a trimester calender, I started in the Fall of 1995 (Trimester 1). I listed AP credits as Spring/Summer 1995 (Trimester 3 of the previous year), but I still designated that as Freshman year. So they ended up all clumped together as taken before my first official semester in college, see? I guess you could probably list them along with all your other Freshman first semester courses, it probably doesn't matter...AMCAS will correct it if there's something glaringly wrong with how you did it. Good Luck!

You did not take AP during your FR year so I think they should not entered as such. Plus HELP directory (Course Work--> Specific Course information-->Academic Status) tells you that classes takem before entering college should entered under high school.

I was wondering the same thing when I was doing my AMCAS last year :)

I entered my AP credits along with my first qtr. freshman year classes, and AMCAS didn't change it, and none of the schools I applied to ever asked me about it, so I am assuming that what I did was OK (they even let me in! :wink: )

Just make it easy for AMCAS/schools to find the AP credit when they look over your coursework. When I read the instruction book last year, I vaguely remember that AP was supposed to go with FR year coursework.

As Spiderman mentioned, we don't take the AP classes in college, but if you are like me, you did get college credits for those AP classes. My the credits posted first qtr., so that is where I put them on my AMCAS - instead of as summer or HS classes.

I think NineSixteen's idea sounds good too, and listing them as OT seems fine. Do whatever you think sounds the best using your own logic.

Spidey,

I think you have a good point. But I strongly urge you to take a look not only at the help online, but also at the 90 page instruction manual. In the manual it clearly states that AP credit is to go under FR year. Just take a look under the coursework section. In the end, do what you ultimately feel comfortable with and Good luck!