AMCAS App- lighten it up a bit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as I'm getting ready to submit my application I have a couple spots where I get away from "being all professional" and throw in a lighter comment. For instance, when I talk about some volunteer cooking I've done I throw in the line "I hope to someday give Betty Crocker a run for her money."

It's nothing serious, but I like to throw in lines like that occasionally just to lighten things up a bit (I only have like 2-3 of these types of comments in my entire app; the rest is totally professional and PC). Is this ok?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing this exact same thing, too. I just can't bring myself to be that stiff and wooden in all of my descriptions. :)

It shouldn't be a big deal. I could see most adcoms just ignoring it or laughing at it in passing- so it would neither help nor hurt you. There's always the chance for the extremes, so just keep that in mind. Also, make sure not to make any joking comments that could offend anyone in the slightest.