AMCAS Background Check email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egon spangler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get an email regarding background checks from the AMCAS today? It was just a general email from Steve Fitzpatrick stating that I "recently participated in part 1" of the background check, no particular school identified. At what stage in the process would a school conduct a background check? Could this possibly mean that somewhere deep in the bowls of the application system some cogs have begun turning just for me which will eventually swing a giant arrow around to point at the "Yes, you have been accepted" sign?

Members don't see this ad.

i got that same email today...i tought it was just a survey...but now that you said it, I am waiting for an interview response...it could be..I HOPE!

Yep, I got the e-mail. I thought it was because I recently completed the background check for a school that accepted me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get an email regarding background checks from the AMCAS today? It was just a general email from Steve Fitzpatrick stating that I "recently participated in part 1" of the background check, no particular school identified. At what stage in the process would a school conduct a background check? Could this possibly mean that somewhere deep in the bowls of the application system some cogs have begun turning just for me which will eventually swing a giant arrow around to point at the "Yes, you have been accepted" sign?

I think that maybe it just means you applied to one of the schools participating in the background check this year...I got the same email, but I can't help you too much b/c I have been accepted by a school that was part of this background check program...and already went through the process...i'll hope that it means you are soon to be accepted at one of those schools however!!! Best of luck!

Yeah, I got it too. Was hoping it meant something like that. Have no idea though.

I also received the background check email today. I assumed the AAMC conducted the background checks for everyone, but I very well may be wrong.

I got the email too, and I interviewed at two of the schools on that list, we'll see what happens I guess.

any of you had an interview recently?

I received this email today too and I have already interviewed at one of the participating schools. Does anyone know what "Part 1 of the first year of an AMCAS-facilitated Criminal Background Check process" means? Was that just filling out AMCAS and having it sent to schools participating in the Certiphi program? Or does it imply that some school is actually requesting a background check on you? Thanks for any help!

I got the email too. I thought I was guilty of something like, "Did I rob a bank and not know about it?" I hope not.

I think it's probably not a good idea to get our hopes up just because they surveyed us on the background check. If they sent this out right before an acceptance came, I don't see why we'd all get the email at the same time. Unless, of course, you're all going crazy waiting for the University of Minnesota too!

alright then... where has everyone applied to?

They are doing a pilot study for the background checks and only a few schools have been selected to participate. They dont do the checks for all applicants. It is at the request of the schools so it could be that that particular school is checking everyone they interviewed of for others, it could be people they are planning to accept.

I got the email too and i know for sure that the Adcoms at a participating school i interviewed at have not met to decide on my status yet (OOS).

I think they said that the background checks will become standard in a couple of years if it works out well this year.,

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't read too much into that e-mail. I have yet to be interviewed by any of those participating schools, so I doubt it means much. Best of luck to you guys, though. Maybe you'll hear the good news soon!

I got the email too, and I interviewed at two of the schools on that list, we'll see what happens I guess.

Wait.. what list? I'm really confused now. Does everyone undergo a criminal background check? Or only students that are accepted?

sorry for the question, but where can you find the list?

sorry for the question, but where can you find the list?

I found the list here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm

Participating Medical Schools

For the 2008 entering class, the following medical schools have agreed to participate in order to assist the AAMC with this new endeavor:
  • Northwestern University - The Feinberg School of Medicine
  • University of Mississippi School of Medicine
  • University of Vermont College of Medicine
  • UMDNJ--New Jersey Medical School
  • The University of Toledo College of Medicine
  • Morehouse School of Medicine
  • University of California Los Angeles David Geffen SOM
  • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  • University of Colorado School of Medicine
  • Boston University School of Medicine

I wouldn't read too much into that e-mail. I have yet to be interviewed by any of those participating schools, so I doubt it means much. Best of luck to you guys, though. Maybe you'll hear the good news soon!
I received the email and did apply to one of the schools on the list. I haven't received an invite from there, though, so I don't know if this means anything at all...

The only school I applied to on that list in Northwestern, and I didn't even submit a secondary. Sorry, guys, I don't think it means anything for our application status.

well I applied to morehouse, but I have not even interview here yet!

The only school I applied to on that list in Northwestern, and I didn't even submit a secondary. Sorry, guys, I don't think it means anything for our application status.

Yeah.. damn my SDN obsession. I just wasted 4 minutes of my life doing that survey because I was briefly intrigued. The only school I applied to on the list was Toldeo, and I didn't submit a secondary either. I need to find more hobbies..

It must be unrelated to status, bc I only applied to CO on that list, and my interview's not till next week. Sorry.

Here's the scoop:

I suspect that AAMC ran a search for the name of every applicant who listed one or more of those school on the AMCAS application. They sent the e-mail to those thousands of applicants.

The Criminal Background Check (CBC) costs money and usually the school absorbs the cost so it isn't likely to do a CBC on more applicants than necessary. My hunch is that only those who accept an offer of admission will have the CBC done.

Odds are, none of you are going to "test positive"so relax (unless you have something dastardly in your past and got caught).

I applied to three of the schools on the list, interviewed at one in mid November. Seems like if we all got the email though it's likely not to mean much.

Could this possibly mean that somewhere deep in the bowls of the application system some cogs have begun turning just for me which will eventually swing a giant arrow around to point at the "Yes, you have been accepted" sign?

I didn't even consider this possibility. But after reading this, it got my mind racing. Further, when someone mentioned a list of schools I drastically looked to find it.

But, after looking at the list, I realized I only applied to one school on it, and haven't even interviewed there yet. And that's when I came back down to earth.

Talk about a roller coaster ride.. :rolleyes:

The word Survey was cut off on my email headline.

AMCAS / Medical School Criminal Background Check...

Probably the biggest letdown of my life. They need to redo that title.

LOL, I got the e-mail and I replied and said what are you talking about? He explianed it to me and responded back super quickly.

I received the email and did apply to one of the schools on the list. I haven't received an invite from there, though, so I don't know if this means anything at all...

northwestern? i did..

I love us.... :rolleyes:

I got it too... And I came on here beacause I was hoping someone else got it and had an explanation. I'm going to stick to hoping it's a sign of interviews to come, how wonderful that would be!

I found the list here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm

Participating Medical Schools

For the 2008 entering class, the following medical schools have agreed to participate in order to assist the AAMC with this new endeavor:
  • Northwestern University - The Feinberg School of Medicine
  • University of Mississippi School of Medicine
  • University of Vermont College of Medicine
  • UMDNJ--New Jersey Medical School
  • The University of Toledo College of Medicine
  • Morehouse School of Medicine
  • University of California Los Angeles David Geffen SOM
  • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  • University of Colorado School of Medicine
  • Boston University School of Medicine

Well I don't know if this means anything but I did not apply to any of the above schools and I did NOT get any email about a background check....my guess is, as someone has already said, this email goes out to anyone that listed any of these schools on their amcas application

Well, I got the email, and I applied primary to two of the schools. I only completed the secondary at one of them, and was invited to interview there but declined.

So...I'll have to agree with LizzyM and say that probably everyone who designated 1+ of these schools on their primary got the email. I doubt it sheds any insight into your admissions decision. Good luck to you all!

Yes, I also got the email yesterday. I have an interview scheduled at one of the schools participating for next month. I think it's just a survey, nothing more.

:)I also got the email. I applied to UMDNJ-NJMS on that list. No interview invite yet...

I got the e-mail. I applied to BU. But, I've already been rejected by BU. This suggests to me that this e-mail was just a mass e-mail to everyone who applied to one of these medical schools and is no way connected to acceptances at these schools.

I also received the e-mail, and I agree that this was just a mass e-mail which had nothing to do with background checks recently performed by certain schools.