• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

AMCAS Background Check email?

egon spangler

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
    Did anyone else get an email regarding background checks from the AMCAS today? It was just a general email from Steve Fitzpatrick stating that I "recently participated in part 1" of the background check, no particular school identified. At what stage in the process would a school conduct a background check? Could this possibly mean that somewhere deep in the bowls of the application system some cogs have begun turning just for me which will eventually swing a giant arrow around to point at the "Yes, you have been accepted" sign?

About the Ads

UofM527

10+ Year Member
    Oct 15, 2007
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
      Did anyone else get an email regarding background checks from the AMCAS today? It was just a general email from Steve Fitzpatrick stating that I "recently participated in part 1" of the background check, no particular school identified. At what stage in the process would a school conduct a background check? Could this possibly mean that somewhere deep in the bowls of the application system some cogs have begun turning just for me which will eventually swing a giant arrow around to point at the "Yes, you have been accepted" sign?

I think that maybe it just means you applied to one of the schools participating in the background check this year...I got the same email, but I can't help you too much b/c I have been accepted by a school that was part of this background check program...and already went through the process...i'll hope that it means you are soon to be accepted at one of those schools however!!! Best of luck!

onemoreyear

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Aug 14, 2007
      1. Medical Student

I also received the background check email today. I assumed the AAMC conducted the background checks for everyone, but I very well may be wrong.

Cowgirl in CA

10+ Year Member
        Sep 27, 2007
        1. Medical Student
          I received this email today too and I have already interviewed at one of the participating schools. Does anyone know what "Part 1 of the first year of an AMCAS-facilitated Criminal Background Check process" means? Was that just filling out AMCAS and having it sent to schools participating in the Certiphi program? Or does it imply that some school is actually requesting a background check on you? Thanks for any help!

Dr Shortstack

10+ Year Member
          Nov 3, 2007
          Minnesota
          1. Pre-Medical
            I think it's probably not a good idea to get our hopes up just because they surveyed us on the background check. If they sent this out right before an acceptance came, I don't see why we'd all get the email at the same time. Unless, of course, you're all going crazy waiting for the University of Minnesota too!

Mr hawkings

10+ Year Member
            Jul 20, 2004
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              They are doing a pilot study for the background checks and only a few schools have been selected to participate. They dont do the checks for all applicants. It is at the request of the schools so it could be that that particular school is checking everyone they interviewed of for others, it could be people they are planning to accept.

I got the email too and i know for sure that the Adcoms at a participating school i interviewed at have not met to decide on my status yet (OOS).

I think they said that the background checks will become standard in a couple of years if it works out well this year.,

About the Ads

Cowgirl in CA

10+ Year Member
              Sep 27, 2007
              1. Medical Student
                sorry for the question, but where can you find the list?

I found the list here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm

Participating Medical Schools

For the 2008 entering class, the following medical schools have agreed to participate in order to assist the AAMC with this new endeavor:
                • Northwestern University - The Feinberg School of Medicine
                • University of Mississippi School of Medicine
                • University of Vermont College of Medicine
                • UMDNJ--New Jersey Medical School
                • The University of Toledo College of Medicine
                • Morehouse School of Medicine
                • University of California Los Angeles David Geffen SOM
                • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
                • University of Colorado School of Medicine
                • Boston University School of Medicine

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Oct 10, 2006
                California
                1. Medical Student
                  I wouldn't read too much into that e-mail. I have yet to be interviewed by any of those participating schools, so I doubt it means much. Best of luck to you guys, though. Maybe you'll hear the good news soon!
                  I received the email and did apply to one of the schools on the list. I haven't received an invite from there, though, so I don't know if this means anything at all...

Taliesinrk

PM&R
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jul 26, 2006
                  1. Medical Student
                    The only school I applied to on that list in Northwestern, and I didn't even submit a secondary. Sorry, guys, I don't think it means anything for our application status.

Yeah.. damn my SDN obsession. I just wasted 4 minutes of my life doing that survey because I was briefly intrigued. The only school I applied to on the list was Toldeo, and I didn't submit a secondary either. I need to find more hobbies..

About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
                    Verified Expert
                    15+ Year Member
                    Mar 7, 2005
                    1. Academic Administration
                      Here's the scoop:

I suspect that AAMC ran a search for the name of every applicant who listed one or more of those school on the AMCAS application. They sent the e-mail to those thousands of applicants.

The Criminal Background Check (CBC) costs money and usually the school absorbs the cost so it isn't likely to do a CBC on more applicants than necessary. My hunch is that only those who accept an offer of admission will have the CBC done.

Odds are, none of you are going to "test positive"so relax (unless you have something dastardly in your past and got caught).

[pj]

10+ Year Member
                      Sep 13, 2006
                      1. Medical Student
                        Could this possibly mean that somewhere deep in the bowls of the application system some cogs have begun turning just for me which will eventually swing a giant arrow around to point at the "Yes, you have been accepted" sign?

I didn't even consider this possibility. But after reading this, it got my mind racing. Further, when someone mentioned a list of schools I drastically looked to find it.

But, after looking at the list, I realized I only applied to one school on it, and haven't even interviewed there yet. And that's when I came back down to earth.

Talk about a roller coaster ride.. :rolleyes:

LavenderDoll88

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        May 25, 2007
                        1. Medical Student
                          I love us.... :rolleyes:

I got it too... And I came on here beacause I was hoping someone else got it and had an explanation. I'm going to stick to hoping it's a sign of interviews to come, how wonderful that would be!

milkylite

10+ Year Member
                          Jul 6, 2007
                          1. Pre-Medical
                            I found the list here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm

Participating Medical Schools

For the 2008 entering class, the following medical schools have agreed to participate in order to assist the AAMC with this new endeavor:
                            • Northwestern University - The Feinberg School of Medicine
                            • University of Mississippi School of Medicine
                            • University of Vermont College of Medicine
                            • UMDNJ--New Jersey Medical School
                            • The University of Toledo College of Medicine
                            • Morehouse School of Medicine
                            • University of California Los Angeles David Geffen SOM
                            • University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
                            • University of Colorado School of Medicine
                            • Boston University School of Medicine

Well I don't know if this means anything but I did not apply to any of the above schools and I did NOT get any email about a background check....my guess is, as someone has already said, this email goes out to anyone that listed any of these schools on their amcas application

Picklesali

M2
                            10+ Year Member
                            Jul 6, 2007
                            1. MD/PhD Student
                              Well, I got the email, and I applied primary to two of the schools. I only completed the secondary at one of them, and was invited to interview there but declined.

So...I'll have to agree with LizzyM and say that probably everyone who designated 1+ of these schools on their primary got the email. I doubt it sheds any insight into your admissions decision. Good luck to you all!

SStorm

10+ Year Member
                              Sep 25, 2006
                              1. Pre-Medical
                                I got the e-mail. I applied to BU. But, I've already been rejected by BU. This suggests to me that this e-mail was just a mass e-mail to everyone who applied to one of these medical schools and is no way connected to acceptances at these schools.

About the Ads
                                This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                7. This thread is locked.