AMCAS- citing a publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowandperfect

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I see that for a publication, people are citing it in the description section. I know this is going to be a very nit picky question, but do you think its best to cite using APA style or another format? Please remember I did not ask 'what is the best method', but instead asked for your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

slowandperfect said:
So I see that for a publication, people are citing it in the description section. I know this is going to be a very nit picky question, but do you think its best to cite using APA style or another format? Please remember I did not ask 'what is the best method', but instead asked for your opinion.

I don't think you have to worry too much about what format. On my app I put the full title, all the authors (only a few authors on each) with their first name and last name (no initials), the full journal title (no abb.), the year, month, volume, and pages. Example:

Student Doctor Network Reduces Anxiety Among Premeds. Joe Shmoe, Mary Jane, and Billy Bob. The Journal of Premedical Preparation (2004) January; 333: 123-125.

godot said:
Student Doctor Network Reduces Anxiety Among Premeds. Joe Shmoe, Mary Jane, and Billy Bob. The Journal of Premedical Preparation (2004) January; 333: 123-125.
This would be one of the most unbelievable findings in the science world! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend following the style used in JAMA, New England Journal, etc. (Uniform Guidelines...) because this is what most adcoms are used to when they read the medical literature:

Shmoe J, Jane M, Bob B. Student doctor network reduces anxiety among premeds. J. Premedical Preparation 2004;333 (Jan.):123-5.

You need only use the (Jan) if the journal isn't numbered sequentially from one issue to the next.

Yes, do use AMA format. It's remarkably easy to learn and then you'll forget all that other APA/MLA crap you used to know.
I just cited my publication in my "achievements" section...was there another place for it?
Lisa PA-C

LizzyM said:
I would recommend following the style used in JAMA, New England Journal, etc. (Uniform Guidelines...) because this is what most adcoms are used to when they read the medical literature:

Shmoe J, Jane M, Bob B. Student doctor network reduces anxiety among premeds. J. Premedical Preparation 2004;333 (Jan.):123-5.

You need only use the (Jan) if the journal isn't numbered sequentially from one issue to the next.