AMCAS class action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcnyc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had an awful time using the AMCAS application service (I'm sure all can agree). I spoke with a lawyer about what can be done to protect the students' rights (after all, we all paid about $600 dollars for this service not to mention that I was charged an additional $2400 due to their error). The lawyer suggested a class action lawsuit. Is this an over reaction?

Members don't see this ad.

Please, dear JESUS, no lawyers!!!! It will be resolved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it! If you do, heed this warning:

When you actually become a physician, and someone yells "malpractice," remember that you, too, took part in a meaningless law suit.

AMCAS's trouble took place because they were trying to make things more convenient for everyone. Something went horribly wrong, and it was far beyond their control.

Ten years down the road, (God forbid, but it happens every day) you'll have someone who dies on your service. Perhaps there's nothing you could have done--their lung cancer did not respond to chemotherapy...

Don't complain, then, when you get served with a lawsuit. Remember, you were just trying to help. Something went horribly wrong, and it was far beyond your control.

And remember that you supported this same kind of legal strategy when you were wronged, as well.

I agree with the others that it would be an over reaction.

But I "feel your pain". I had a lot of trouble and when I contacted AMCAS, I figured out why they screwed up:

ALL of the employees to whom I spoke, from the computer "professionals" down to the receptionist sounded like...well....like they were from Compton. (spelling?)

I don't intend to be mean, but they did NOT sound like professionals, nor did they act like it (and I won't go into the details).

AMCAS should rethink their hiring policies.

Originally posted by cg1:
ALL of the employees to whom I spoke, from the computer "professionals" down to the receptionist sounded like...well....like they were from Compton. (spelling?)•

What do you mean by this?

And I agree that it is an over-reaction - unless of course, their errors keep you out of medical school. A majority of the people in the premed forum clamor for there to be a lawsuit. I think Future GI Guy put it best. They tried, they failed, they know it. It will be much better next year.

Andrew

For the people who have been told that their MCAT scores were deleted in a glitch, but that AMCAS is not going to necessarily send them out to schools (unless students call and maybe not even then), I think that people have a right to sue. They have been denied a service that they clearly paid for and AMCAS is not trying their best to send out the information. Legal action is not always about money, it is often more expensive to sue than not. But being completely ignored and being denied a service that has been paid for is clear grounds for legal action.

What do you mean by this?
Dude,

Why don't you call them and find out? My experience with them was not positive, to say the least. After what seemed like a 2 hour hold on the phone, I got a technical service agent who was far from "servicing", not to mention was barely able to string together two sentences.

I hope you're not implying anything racial in your message, there.

People from compton are generally African-Americans.

The tone of your message sounds frustrated, which I can totally understand.

But implying that people from Compton can't do things that people from Beverely Hills can do, well, that's just wrong, and I think you know it.

Just my .02:

I was one of the July submitters who have not yet been "verified" and am now seemingly in line behind people who submitted well after me. I DID pay $750 to have my application verified and forwarded to the designated medical schools under the reasonable assumption that it would be accomplished in an expiditious and competent fashion, so as to provide me with an even and fair chance of admittance. Have I received the service for which I paid? I think not.

Most schools admit on a rolling basis and therefore it is entirely plausible that I will be denied admission to atleast one school because someone who submitted after me, but got processed before, got that seat. Could you prove that? I'm not sure about that, but I am sure that is unfair.

A few weeks ago we were all "in the same boat" and no one had an advantage over another in this debacle. That has changed. Through the incompetence of AMCAS I am now at an unfair disadvantage. That is clearly wrong. But wrong enough to sue?

People often turn to the law when they are otherwise powerless against larger, richer, or stronger people or organizations. That, in my opinion, is the chief purpose of our legal system; to protect the rights and insure fair treatment.

Would you win? What would you win? I don't know that either. But I do know this; if I don't get accepted this year, or I get a conditional acceptance that is lost due to AMCAS' failings, they must be made to make ammends, somehow.

I don't live far from DC and have been considering filing a claim in small-claims court. It only cost like $10.00 and at least would put someone (Dr. Kohen?) on notice, if not make the newspapers. Maybe I could get a court date during the upcoming "AAMC: Facing the Future" convention coming up in DC! That would be somewhat appropriate!

You asked....

Spang

Be patient young Grasshoppers...remember it is a virtue.
Lawsuits aren't virtuous.