AMCAS: courses listed in two disciplines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have about 3-4 courses that are listed under both CS and Math. The courses I got A's in I called Math and the courses I got B's in I called CS. I did this to optimize my science gpa. I'm not being dishonest because the courses are listed with the same exact course number once under MAth and again under CS. The problem is that there may be a discrepancy between how my transcript labeled these courses and how I labeled them. Should I notify amcas of the situation, or will they just let it go? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

you should find out how these courses are listed on your transcript because that is what AMCAS uses to verify the grades you enter on your application. they will probably be more stringent on courses that factor into your BCPM GPA than they would on, say, two humanities courses.

AMCAS wants you to classify your courses by "content", not just by what category your school puts it in. If you have a computer science class that is primarily math oriented in content, you should classify it as math instead of computer science, and vice versa. If AMCAS sees a discrepency between what you put and your transcipt, they will probably change it anyway.