AMCAS deadline for schools = deadline for letters via AMCAS or adding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheelforlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I understand that the AMCAS deadline for schools is the deadline for adding them to your AMCAS application ("submitting"). However, is this also the deadline for assigning letters of recommendation to them, even though their secondary deadlines are in the future i.e. if the school participates in the AMCAS letter service and you assign letters to them before their supplemental deadline, you will be 'on-time' and complete?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The AMCAS letters service is more or less separate from the application service. What this means is that you can add letters to AMCAS and assign them to schools after the school's primary application deadline, and up until the secondary application deadline (since letters are considered part of the secondary application). I would recommend submitting them no less than three weeks before the deadline for the school's secondary application, though, since the school still needs to download the letter from AMCAS and that can sometimes take a while.