AMCAS deadline/What to do with my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceManCometh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the past week I think I discovered just how uneducated of a med-school applicant I am. I submitted my AMCAS on October 14 and it was put on hold for several days while my last transcript was processed. In what kind of a position does the fact that I've applied so late put me?

I've put a lot of energy into trying to be a good candidate for medical school, and I consider myself serious about going to medical school, but I never realized that I would put myself in such a bad spot by applying close to the deadline. I had assumed that a deadline means that if you get your application in by that time you will not be penalized. I took the Aug 05 MCAT. I don't really have pre-med friends, and my advisor is kind of new to the game, so this is probably why this happened.

I have a 3.52 GPA, a higher science GPA, a 32P MCAT, I went to a top five liberal arts college, got a fellowship, did research, and have really strong leadership (not all health-related, though). I put a lot of work into my AMCAS. Applied to Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Duluth, Oregon, Chicago, and a few more reachy schools.

1) Should I hold on to hope? Do you'll think I'll still get fair consideration? Or should I just come to terms with it and start thinking of a cool way to spend my next year and a half (and submit AMCAS earlier next year).

2) If Cornell's AMCAS deadline is Oct. 15 why is their secondary deadline Nov 15 (if it takes 4-6 weeks for AMCAS to verify)?

3) Will AMCAS process my application in shorter than 4-6 weeks because there aren't many fools like me who would submit so late?

Thanks for any advice guys!

Members don't see this ad.

IceManCometh said:
In the past week I think I discovered just how uneducated of a med-school applicant I am. I submitted my AMCAS on October 14 and it was put on hold for several days while my last transcript was processed. In what kind of a position does the fact that I've applied so late put me?

I've put a lot of energy into trying to be a good candidate for medical school, and I consider myself serious about going to medical school, but I never realized that I would put myself in such a bad spot by applying close to the deadline. I had assumed that a deadline means that if you get your application in by that time you will not be penalized. I took the Aug 05 MCAT. I don't really have pre-med friends, and my advisor is kind of new to the game, so this is probably why this happened.

I have a 3.52 GPA, a higher science GPA, a 32P MCAT, I went to a top five liberal arts college, got a fellowship, did research, and have really strong leadership (not all health-related, though). I put a lot of work into my AMCAS. Applied to Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Duluth, Oregon, Chicago, and a few more reachy schools.

1) Should I hold on to hope? Do you'll think I'll still get fair consideration? Or should I just come to terms with it and start thinking of a cool way to spend my next year and a half (and submit AMCAS earlier next year).

2) If Cornell's AMCAS deadline is Oct. 15 why is their secondary deadline Nov 15 (if it takes 4-6 weeks for AMCAS to verify)?

3) Will AMCAS process my application in shorter than 4-6 weeks because there aren't many fools like me who would submit so late?

Thanks for any advice guys!

Where do you have state residency at? Your amcas should be processed within a couple weeks, but I don't know for sure. Start working on secondaries ASAP and submit them ASAP...or your chances will get worse. Honestly, I can't see your application so I cannot assess your chances, but yes, you are at a disadvantage than the same applicant applying 4 months ago - with the exception of nonrolling schools, and Cornell may be one of those. It's submitted now, so there's nothing you can do but don't delay your secondaries (make sure you're LOR are ready to go out) and all that good stuff. No clinical experience may hurt you as well...how do you plan to answer the question "why do you want to work with patients for the rest of your life?" if you've never done so? Just my 2 cents

This is why every pre-med should inform themselves about this whole process via books or going to aamc website and learning about all the issues that come with the application. Sorry to hear that you did not know or were not aware of this whole processing time, transcripts needing to be received etc...good luck.

IceManCometh said:
Honestly, a bad position, but keep pushing! Hopefully, you already have letters of recommendation, otherwise, you are kind of screwed.

Applied to Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Duluth, Oregon, Chicago, and a few more reachy schools.
If you're not a WI resident, UWisc is an awfully long shot.

Yes, hold on to hope, and yes, you'll get fair consideration, but it's much harder to get in now than it was earlier.

They say that, but mine was verified in less than a week (so be ready).

Hopefully! Read the essay prompts for the secondaries (there are threads full of them) and have your essays written. Make sure your checking account has a few hundred dollars in it for the secondary fees (and make sure your credit cards can take the same).