AMCAS disadvantaged Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EsseQuamVideri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Question:
So I'm trying to establish my spot on the continuum of "disadvantaged" status for AMCAS/interview purposes.

Story
My parents (~ 1 year of college each, dropped out) were divorced when my brother and I were in middle school. I've always stated my permanent residence as my father's whereas my brother stated his with our mother in another state. For personal reasons I had to leave home halfway through my senior year of HS, living with friends/relatives while studying for all AP classes and waiting for graduation.

At Uni, my father cosigned my loans thus I never filed for emancipation. My financial aid was pretty good due to merit scholarships and FAFSA. My step-brother went to school for a few years (associates degree) and my biological brother got full tuition assistance and went for 1 year before failing out.

I’m pretty sure this means I’m NOT a first-in-family college grad. Also, because I never got emancipated and filed under my father, I didn’t meet the AAMC’s Fee Assistance Program guidelines (he makes ~40k/yr) although I don't receive assistance from family members.

I was lucky enough to get into a good research school and have excellent mentors. I’m applying M.D./Ph.D this cycle and because my credentials are strong enough, I’m confident I can get in. Does anyone have experience with disadvantaged student status. Just wondering how I should put this on the AMCAS.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if that's considered disadvantaged. I am a first to graduate college and also haven't gotten any money from my parents (also divorced) since I was 16. I didn't put disadvantaged on mine.

Hey all,

Question:
So I'm trying to establish my spot on the continuum of "disadvantaged" status for AMCAS/interview purposes.

Story
My parents (~ 1 year of college each, dropped out) were divorced when my brother and I were in middle school. I've always stated my permanent residence as my father's whereas my brother stated his with our mother in another state. For personal reasons I had to leave home halfway through my senior year of HS, living with friends/relatives while studying for all AP classes and waiting for graduation.

At Uni, my father cosigned my loans thus I never filed for emancipation. My financial aid was pretty good due to merit scholarships and FAFSA. My step-brother went to school for a few years (associates degree) and my biological brother got full tuition assistance and went for 1 year before failing out.

I'm pretty sure this means I'm NOT a first-in-family college grad. Also, because I never got emancipated and filed under my father, I didn't meet the AAMC's Fee Assistance Program guidelines (he makes ~40k/yr) although I don't receive assistance from family members.

I was lucky enough to get into a good research school and have excellent mentors. I'm applying M.D./Ph.D this cycle and because my credentials are strong enough, I'm confident I can get in. Does anyone have experience with disadvantaged student status. Just wondering how I should put this on the AMCAS.

Thanks for your help

I would definitely talk about some of these things and how they shaped who you are now (if indeed they did), but I don't think you technically qualify. The general guideline is based off of income and FAP approval as far as I know. You're not a first gen either, and while 40k is not living comfortably, this is still 2x the poverty level for a small family. It sounds like you're doing well though. Good luck!

As far as I can tell, there is no more disadvantaged category. Everyone is now given the opportunity to answer the requisite questions. You are also asked for information about both parents, regardless of whether you lived with one or the other. You can also list more than two parents (e.g. step parents) and I even recall one applicant who listed the grandparents who raised him as well as his single (teen) mom.

For MD/PhD, socioeconomic status in childhood won't make much difference to the adcom.