AMCAS: disadvantaged status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS as distinguished the county I grew up as medically underserved and rural. I definitely believe this is true and I saw lots of this in my home town; Though I wouldnt really consider myself personally as disadvantaged or underserved (parents are doctors).

TAKEN FROM AMCAS APPLICATION: Do you consider yourself as disadvantaged? (the following definitions may help you to identify this).

Underserved: Do you believe, based on your own experiences or the experiences of family and friends, that the area in which you grew up was adequately served by the available health care professionals? Were there enough physicians, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and other health care service providers?

So would i really be considered disadvantaged or do I not really fit the definition that amcas is looking for?

Could I ever get in trouble for distinguishing myself as this. I am not lying, but could it anger or turn some schools off?

Members don't see this ad.

THanks for reading my lengthy post and thanks for any replies or comments that you guys may make (good or bad, I appreciate honesty).

:thumbup:

NRAI2001 said:
Though I wouldnt really consider myself personally as disadvantaged or underserved (parents are doctors).

I think you answered your own question.

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:

I am in a similar situation to your own and decided not to list myself as disadvantaged. I grew up in a medically underserved, rural area, but I do not feel that myself or my family ever lacked necessary medical care - we had the means to travel farther and pay more to get to it. I have spoken with a few adcom members about this in the past, and they all agreed that if I did not experience specific, personal hardship, it could very likely end up looking bad. I don't think it's negative at all to try to work into an essay or even the interview the fact that you have witnessed these medical disparities, but I don't think it's right to actually claim disadvantaged status.

sunflwr85 said:
I am in a similar situation to your own and decided not to list myself as disadvantaged. I grew up in a medically underserved, rural area, but I do not feel that myself or my family ever lacked necessary medical care - we had the means to travel farther and pay more to get to it. I have spoken with a few adcom members about this in the past, and they all agreed that if I did not experience specific, personal hardship, it could very likely end up looking bad. I don't think it's negative at all to try to work into an essay or even the interview the fact that you have witnessed these medical disparities, but I don't think it's right to actually claim disadvantaged status.

Ya thats very true. Thanks for the response :thumbup: