AMCAS EC's for nontrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asunshine

can't sing but i got soul
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I'm 25 and I've had a lot of interesting/medicine-related experiences since I've graduated from college.

Should I still include boring college things like dean's list, honor societies and student work? I don't think it adds much to my app except to show that I was also paying my way through school. I'll definitely add my student senate experience, study abroad, and my tutoring/RAing, since those could be considered leadership.

Any thoughts? I'm more of a person who'd rather have 8 really awesome EC's than 15 annoyingly detailed space-fillers.

Or am I going about this all wrong? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would list them all. I got a couple of 'named' scholarships as part of my financial aid package and I listed those along with the ones that came with awards that I had to apply and compete for.

The info on the ECs is pretty concise so having it all there gives them the opportunity to see the diversity of the credits you have under your belt. Yeh, almost everyone applying to med school was on the dean's list at some point, but just list if towards the end and maybe list the ones that you think make you shine first on your AMCAS.

Just my opinion,

s

You can clump all honor societies into one description so you are only using 1 out of 15 for the ECs. Definitely include the other items that make you unique. Just about everyone I know has honor societies etc. on their CV