AMCAS Essay...where did the indentations go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glucose

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
For those of you who already submitted your AMCAS application...Do all of the paragraph indentation disappear when you put you essay in the little window provided. When i pasted my essay in, it looked fine, but on the print out of my application it's just one big unindented block, like a huge notepad document. Is this how everyone's looked. Let me know ASAP, I'm trying to submit tonight (well , what's left of it :) )

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Glucose
Hi Guys,
For those of you who already submitted your AMCAS application...Do all of the paragraph indentation disappear when you put you essay in the little window provided. When i pasted my essay in, it looked fine, but on the print out of my application it's just one big unindented block, like a huge notepad document. Is this how everyone's looked. Let me know ASAP, I'm trying to submit tonight (well , what's left of it :) )

I had this problem too, god knows I played around with it trying to get the indentations to work for a long time and finally gave up. I did double-space the paragraphs of the essay though, just in case the indentations are missing.

hmmm the double space thing makes sense.
I wonder what the Med School printout looks like, cus what they get might be just fine. I don't want to double space and then the indentations show up, then I look like I don't know proper format.
AARrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh I'm going bald over this process!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe essay formatting is an optional extra not included in AMCAS's pricing. Try sending them more money. :rolleyes:

Actually I had the same problem last year. What I did was single space my paragraphs and used a single space between them and instead of indenting them, I just left them as blocks with everything on the left margin. Actually, you use less characters doing it this way than trying to indent the first line of each paragraph, and it looks just as professional.

I was able to glimpse my essay printout during one of my interviews, and it was formatted the same way I entered it as I described above.

seconding what Smoke This wrote - I just added a blank line after each paragraph and didnt indend. It looked purdy and saved characters. :laugh: