AMCAS essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoatBoy

Manboob Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about what we "should" write in the new AMCAS essay about how we invision our career to be in 10 years.
Honestly, I could not be able to say what specialty I would like to pursue as I have not decided this yet, I dont think I would be able to decide such a thing until I had some experience in several fields in med school. So, should I just say that I see myself as a general practitioner?
Also, should I say that I am interested in doing research. I am not to interested in doing research later on (but this could change if something interests me), but would it be a huge negative to say that I am not interested in research? Should I just say that I am interested in research? but I do have reservations about making up that I am interested in research because it most likely would come up in the interview.

Any other suggestions from anyone in how to go about writing this essay when I am so uncertain about so many things?

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search for "Practice Vision Essay" and you should find a wealth of information on this topic. Good luck.

If you have to lie to try and make yourself look good, then you know you are doing the wrong thing...say what you feel...do you care about what you become at all? Do you like kids? do you like elderly? think about that...then expand..simple really...don't lie and say you like research when you don't...some schools might be able to spot that especially if you haven't done any research or don't sound enthusiastic about it....I basically spent a huge portion of my essay talking about my personal life..such as my wife and stuff like that...enjoy..

When you finish your essay and are ready to submit...beware. I copy and pasted a COMPLETELY different essay just prior to certifying and submitting my app. Then when I checked my app a couple days later I saw that the web program had not saved the new version of my essay. My heart sank since the first version was horribly written and wrought with grammatical and spelling errors--I made the mistake of using the amcas field as my primary template, and thought all along that I would go back and make corrections. Eventually, I did, but to no avail. I ended up mailing my essay to all the schools I applied to, with a letter of explanation attached. Now I have to deal with making sure that each school received the corrected essay in the mail, something that probably did not happen in every case since they had no amcas app, and thus file, with my name on it at the time. Oh well.