AMCAS FAP for Primaries and Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJBroca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
For the AMCAS fee assistance program, I presume primary app fees are covered right away (believe up to 16 schools?) when the primary app payment section is complete upon submission, but how does this work for secondaries?
If a school decides to send a secondary, do they automatically know you are a part of the fee assistance program? Or do you pay upon submitting the secondary and then they reimburse you after they verify you are indeed a part of the program?
*This is of course under the assumption that the school participates in the program.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
While it could vary by school, every one that I applied to automatically saw/verified that I was a FAP recipient somewhere on the secondary portal prior to submission, so I assume it's somewhat of a streamlined process based on the info AMCAS gives the school.

Reactions: 1 users
While it could vary by school, every one that I applied to automatically saw/verified that I was a FAP recipient somewhere on the secondary portal prior to submission, so I assume it's somewhat of a streamlined process based on the info AMCAS gives the school.
Thanks @Dantes

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school - some will have you apply to them directly for a waiver and some, especially the ones that give you an online portal, will automatically mark the place in the portal showing that they've waived the secondary.

I applied to 30 schools. For most, the secondary fee was automatically waived. For one (maybe 2), I had to email their office stating that I had FAP so that they could manually apply the waiver. One school offered a 50% discount. Ended up getting accepted there though, so it was worth it lol.

So according to the FAP requirements, due to my large family size I'd actually qualify for it but I've never really felt financially disadvantaged due to having my own job while parents covered regular daily expenses. I'd kinda feel guilty aplying for it if there are limited amounts though it'd definitely make life a lot easier. Does anyone know if it's limited in how many people they give it to or is anyone who is determined eligible able to get it?

So according to the FAP requirements, due to my large family size I'd actually qualify for it but I've never really felt financially disadvantaged due to having my own job while parents covered regular daily expenses. I'd kinda feel guilty aplying for it if there are limited amounts though it'd definitely make life a lot easier. Does anyone know if it's limited in how many people they give it to or is anyone who is determined eligible able to get it?

I'm just guessing, but I don't think that there are a finite number of spots. There isn't a hard deadline for applying, so how would they be able to compare people if not all applications are in at the same time?

I'm just guessing, but I don't think that there are a finite number of spots. There isn't a hard deadline for applying, so how would they be able to compare people if not all applications are in at the same time?
Good point!

Wow I thought the requirement was just to be below the value they had, didn't realize it was 300% or less. Apparently my family would be considered below the poverty line :eek:. That's kinda crazy cuz I thought we were just slightly below average though I guess I never considered the family size in the average lol.