AMCAS gave me B+ for every A my senior year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dafertilizer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just like the title says, I just received my GPA calculations, and they converted every A to a B+ for my senior year???????????
Anyone know why???

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea why they would do that. I would write to them or call them ASAP. They screwed up my grades last year and I made them fix it. That's not right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dafertilizer said:
just like the title says, I just received my GPA calculations, and they converted every A to a B+ for my senior year???????????
Anyone know why???

Whoa... definitely get that taken care of.

Dafertilizer said:
Anyone know why???

Does your school use a numerical system different than the normal 4.0 system? If so, either AMCAS could have screwed up the conversion, or you could have been going through life thinking you did better than you did.

first double check to see that the transcripts weren't screwed up in the first place!

Dafertilizer said:
Anyone know why???

I'd like to know if there's anyone else who has had this problem - as it sounds, quite frankly, ridiculous to make any applicant go through this.

For the 2005 AMCAS, grades were converted/weighed for certain programs/ schools. I know people from state schools who have had their 4.0 turned into a 3.7. I have no idea how the decision is made, however, and would like to know how your situation turns out.
Lets hope they were wrong for changing things.

Doc Jay said:
For the 2005 AMCAS, grades were converted/weighed for certain programs/ schools. I know people from state schools who have had their 4.0 turned into a 3.7. I have no idea how the decision is made, however, and would like to know how your situation turns out.

:rolleyes:

Doc Jay said:
That seems extremely discriminatory. Who are they to say that one college/program is better than a state school. They give us a standardized MCAT. Why not standardized grades? If they lower my GPA and the result is that I don't get into med. school, I will seek legal counsel or a high powered rifle. :smuggrin:

What school did you go to, did anyone have this problem in TN. Also did you school have a + and - grading system.

Doc Jay said:

My school does use the standard grading system like most other schools, but it is a state school, but that still does not make sense because they only did it for my senior year??? and they did it to both regular science classes like Microbiology, and non-science like a History of Western Art class.

I called AMCAS, and they said there was no notation as to why the change was made, they then told me to go to my app online and make that "Academic Change Request" and that it would take about 15 DAYS for them to review it :barf:

Maybe they thought you had an extra 2-3 credit class that received no credit and dropped your GPA? If you had straight As with 15 credits, and they thought you had a 3 credit F, that would be a 3.3333

Members don't see this ad :)
Compass said:
Maybe they thought you had an extra 2-3 credit class that received no credit and dropped your GPA? If you had straight As with 15 credits, and they thought you had a 3 credit F, that would be a 3.3333

Im not quite sure im following your getting an F for a no credit class thing :confused:

But I just went back and looked, and they also changed my status making me a senior much earlier than I was, and it is every A that I received from my state college that they changed to a B+... That would make no sense if the reason was the grades were from a state college, because I transferred to there from community college, and they did not change any of those grades. Not to mention my B.S. is in Biochemistry/Molec. biology.

That's horrible, I hope they change it back to normal. Let us know how it goes. :luck:

Now I'm freaking out that AMCAS will do something screwy to my GPA when I submit.

Doc Jay said:

Yeah... that just doens't seem likely AT ALL.

Doc Jay said:

Perhaps you'd care to reference this?

I would be pissed off. How is it possible an "A", could be turned into a "B+"? You should quickly make your case to them.

Did you just graduate from Stockton? If so, me too with a BS in Biochemistry/Molec. Biology. OMG, if your A's turn to B+, I'd hate to see what my GPA will look like after I submit in my app. :(

Officially stressing out now...

~Jess

I though AMCAS didn't give you + or - grades. Simply Letter. How does it work? Some schools use a + as a an extra .3 or .5 on your GPA.

KingTutATL said:
I though AMCAS didn't give you + or - grades. Simply Letter. How does it work? Some schools use a + as a an extra .3 or .5 on your GPA.

Hmm, are you sure?

KingTutATL said:

KingTutATL--you've mentioned this a few times in different threads, so here's some official information for you. YES, AMCAS counts +/- grades (except for A+, which converts to an A). It doesn't matter what number your school assigns to the +/- grades--AMCAS' conversions are standardized so med schools can attempt to compare GPAs across different grading systems. If your school doesn't give +/- grades, your grades are converted as a "regular" A, B, C, etc. Here's a link to the official AMCAS grade conversion worksheet for 2007:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2007amcasgradeconversionguide2.pdf

Good luck with this cycle, everyone! :luck:

Have you checked out the AMCAS explanation regarding grades and GPA? I don't know if anything in there would help you. Also, AMCAS GPAs are almost always different from those computed by the school you attend. That is straight from the instructions.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcasinstmanual2007.pdf

As far as your class year status, I believe AMCAS has a standard method of determining your year based on the number of credits you had at the time. Yup, I just found it, it is on page 39 of the instruction book. So if you had enough credits, they would consider you a senior.

If you still think they got the grade wrong, then definitely submit your change form ASAP. Even though it will take up to 2 weeks to get changed, if you think about the larger picture, changing one grade from a B+ to an A should not affect your overall GPA all that much, so that one thing would affect your receipt of screened secondaries.

I don't know if any of this helps. But good luck with your application cycle!!

Depakote said:
wierd.

I would e-mail/call them.

hahhahaha I now know the significance of your username!
that is a psychotropic medication!...I am drawing a blank on specifically what it is used for...but I want to say it is either anti-anxiety or an anti-depressant

MirrorTodd said:
That seems extremely discriminatory. Who are they to say that one college/program is better than a state school. They give us a standardized MCAT. Why not standardized grades? If they lower my GPA and the result is that I don't get into med. school, I will seek legal counsel or a high powered rifle. :smuggrin:
right, that's ridiculous; not everyone can afford to go to private schools. how do they know that someone who got a 4.0 at a state school would not have also gotten a 4.0 at an ivy if they could afford the bills there? That is so ridiculously discrimatory. :mad:

KingTutATL said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I can confirm this, but I'm doing a summer medical program and we had a seminar about the application process and someone asked about this and we were told that AMCAS doesn't count positives or negatives. So if you have a B+ it's just considered a B, or I guess a 3.0 When I got my AMCAS gpa last year it was lower than my gpa on my transcript. Not by much, but it was about a tenth of a point lower.

mustangsally65 said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say that I can confirm this, but I'm doing a summer medical program and we had a seminar about the application process and someone asked about this and we were told that AMCAS doesn't count positives or negatives. So if you have a B+ it's just considered a B, or I guess a 3.0 When I got my AMCAS gpa last year it was lower than my gpa on my transcript. Not by much, but it was about a tenth of a point lower.

Nope, not true. See page 13 of the instructions or the grade conversion worksheet.

JessieLee said:
Did you just graduate from Stockton? If so, me too with a BS in Biochemistry/Molec. Biology. OMG, if your A's turn to B+, I'd hate to see what my GPA will look like after I submit in my app. :(

Officially stressing out now...

~Jess

Yes I did, Dec 2005...

LucidSplash said:
Have you checked out the AMCAS explanation regarding grades and GPA? I don't know if anything in there would help you. Also, AMCAS GPAs are almost always different from those computed by the school you attend. That is straight from the instructions.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcasinstmanual2007.pdf

As far as your class year status, I believe AMCAS has a standard method of determining your year based on the number of credits you had at the time. Yup, I just found it, it is on page 39 of the instruction book. So if you had enough credits, they would consider you a senior.

If you still think they got the grade wrong, then definitely submit your change form ASAP. Even though it will take up to 2 weeks to get changed, if you think about the larger picture, changing one grade from a B+ to an A should not affect your overall GPA all that much, so that one thing would affect your receipt of screened secondaries.

I don't know if any of this helps. But good luck with your application cycle!!

Yeah I read all of the AMCAS GPA calculation info on their web site, and that part about AMCAS GPA is often different than the schools worried me. But I just spoke with my friend who also graduated from Stockton (state college) and had the same classes as me, and AMCAS did not screw up his grades last year.....
And it is not one grade, it's 9 A's they changed to B+'s

mustangsally65 said:

The only thing they don't count are A+'s. They just downgrade them to an A. Other than that, +'s and -'s are counted.

I wish colleges would just give letter grades and then AMCAS could just set certain grade intervals to calculate your gpa. Sorry if I misled anybody. It seems a lot of people are confused on this subject. Those AMCAS links should be stickies. I have a lot of + grades so reading that cheers me up a bit. Thanks for the help.

Just wanted to update this, in case this happened to anyone else, AMCAS fixed the grades... :)

Dafertilizer said:
Anyone know why???

SOMEBODY pissed off Chuck Norris. Let this be a lesson to you, kids. :D

Dafertilizer said:
Just wanted to update this, in case this happened to anyone else, AMCAS fixed the grades... :)

If that happens to me when I apply, I may be inclined to become violent. :D j/k

Dafertilizer said:

did they say why?

I didn't believe this whole thing about a state college being discriminated against.....i went to uconn and every grade is the same, every gpa point is the same....same final gpa

I think that everyone should go back and check their GPA periodically on their application. When I applied AMCAS was screwing up big time with the apps. I went to check my grades and the idiot who checked mine turned all grades with a minus with it to a zero. This means every A- was counted as an F, zero credit. I didn't even catch it until a week before my first interview. Looks like they still can't get it together!