AMCAS GPA calculation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does AMCAS handle classes from unaccredited schools? I went to an unaccredited music school right out of high school and messed it up pretty bad (2.1 gpa). Will AMCAS count these unaccredited classes in my cumulative?

I have a 3.8 science GPA and have been an excellent student in my new major (Microbiology). My day was just ruined by the realization that I may be completely screwed by my past.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Per the AMCAS 2011 Instruction Book, on page 22: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2011amcasinstructions.pdf

Is a Transcript Required?
You must determine whether or not a transcript is required by AMCAS. Even if you have
previously applied using AMCAS, read all the instructions below relating to transcripts thoroughly
and follow them carefully.
Transcript Requirements
One official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted course work, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:

College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if they did not count toward a degree at any college.

Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if transfer credit was
subsequently accepted by another school.

Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g., incompletes, withdrawals, failures, audits, etc.).

Courses that did not count toward a degree, regardless of whether credit was earned or transferred.

Extension programs through which you attempted courses, if a separate transcript is provided by the Extension Division.

Correspondence and home study programs.

Military education.

American schools overseas.

U.S., U.S. Territorial, and Canadian medical schools.

I believe your unaccredited coursework must be reported also. If you need further reassurance, call AMCAS, or email and ask.