AMCAS GPA-Community college class credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aluc2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Senior year of hs I took Calculus through the local CC. I got a C. What I'm wondering is how many credits would it be counted as? The CC said it was a 5 credit class, which is a joke. My undergrad counted the class as 3 credits. How do you think AMCAS would count it? 5 or 3?

Members don't see this ad.

The transcript knows. Please order a copy. You'll need it anyway.

Hi everyone!
Senior year of hs I took Calculus through the local CC. I got a C. What I'm wondering is how many credits would it be counted as? The CC said it was a 5 credit class, which is a joke. My undergrad counted the class as 3 credits. How do you think AMCAS would count it? 5 or 3?

AMCAS is used to receiving transcripts with a variety of different credit schemes. I had transcripts from one school where a typical class was 12 units, from two schools where a typical class was 3 or so units, and from two schools where classes were all 1 unit. AMCAS figured it all out.

When you apply, you'll enter in the number of units that appear on the transcript, and then AMCAS will convert it all to some standardized measure of units based on who-knows-what. You're almost certainly right, your CC class won't be counted as bigger than your regular college classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Classes like that are 5 credits, so they should count as 5 credits. Credits are given depending on how many hours you have to spend on a subject. For example, my community college has 5 units calculus 1. You have to go 5 days a week for an hour. Calculus 2 is 3 units, but you only go 3 days a week for an hour.

If they really re-do the units like they say here, I never knew and it is bull****. My units shouldn't be cut because they don't conform to a made up pattern.

I had a situation exactly like this. The school where I took calc I said it was 5 credits. All the other schools it showed up on said 4. The transcript from the original school must be sent to AMCAS, and since it will say 5, it will be counted as 5 (as it did in my case as well). It's the only class I've ever taken that was 5 credits, so I understand your confusion.

Hi everyone!

The community college designation trumps the undergrad credit since you took the course with them. The fact that your uni gave you 3 is no more relevant than them if they gave you 4 or denied the credit all together. Everything will trace back to the source of origin. You can't "launder" credit. It'll be 5.

The instructions: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2011amcasinstructions.pdf.pdf (at this writing, that is not a typo)

Page 21: Transcripts
Problems with transcripts are the number one cause of processing delays and missed application deadlines.
We also strongly recommend that you request personal copies of your transcripts for your use in completing the Course Work section of your application.
One official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted course work, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:
• Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if transfer credit was subsequently accepted by another school.

Page 39: Credit Hours
Your AMCAS application will automatically convert most undergraduate credit hours (also known as units, hours, etc.) to either semester hours or supplemental hours based on conversions provided by the institutions. Indicate your credit hours or units EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript...