AMCAS GPA question quarter system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlippingSloth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I estimate my AMCAS GPA do I consider a 4 quarter class 2.667 semesters or 2.7? I am amazed to see my gpa drop from 3.68 to 3.63 from my university gpa using the 2.667 unit conversion. When I use the 2.7 conversion my GPA is within .01. Its just unnerving.

Members don't see this ad.

SlippingSloth said:
When I estimate my AMCAS GPA do I consider a 4 quarter class 2.667 semesters or 2.7? I am amazed to see my gpa drop from 3.68 to 3.63 from my university gpa using the 2.667 unit conversion. When I use the 2.7 conversion my GPA is within .01. Its just unnerving.

AMCAS gave me 2.7 semester hours for every 4 quarter hours.

SlippingSloth said:

I was on the quarter system, when i filled out my AMCAS here the breakdown:

5 credit hour class on the quarter system = 3.3 Semester hours

4 credit hour class on the quarter system = 2.7 semester hours

3 credit hour class on the quarter system = 2 semester hours

2 credit hour class on the quarter system = 1.3 semester hours

1 credit hour class on the quarter system = 0.7 semester hours

With these conversions your AMCAS GPA should be the same as your undergrad GPA as long as you did not use any freshman forgiveness or otherwise drop bad grades from your overall GPA as some schools allow freshman to do.