amcas gpa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ichewu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can some1 school me on how you calculate your amcas gpa. particularly i want to know whether if i take a class such as physics at a community college over the summer rather than at my university, will that grade be factored into my amcas gpa with the same weight as though it were at my university? thanks for the help guys

Members don't see this ad.

can some1 school me on how you calculate your amcas gpa. particularly i want to know whether if i take a class such as physics at a community college over the summer rather than at my university, will that grade be factored into my amcas gpa with the same weight as though it were at my university? thanks for the help guys

All undergrad coursework gets factored in based on the applicable credit units. But you must provide all transcripts so schools will see what courses you took where. If your best grades tended to be ones you took at CCs, it might be noticed.

i may have to reapply in the future. i was wondering if graduate GPA is also calculated into AMCAS gpa. I didn't do well in the graduate course work because I spent more time in the lab. =( I guess I should've expected the worst and studied for those classes!
Does anyone know if it is calculated into AMCAS GPA? Also does anyone know when schools look at your GPA, they look at undergrad GPA separately from grad GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
i may have to reapply in the future. i was wondering if graduate GPA is also calculated into AMCAS gpa. I didn't do well in the graduate course work because I spent more time in the lab. =( I guess I should've expected the worst and studied for those classes!
Does anyone know if it is calculated into AMCAS GPA? Also does anyone know when schools look at your GPA, they look at undergrad GPA separately from grad GPA?

While all GPAs show up on AMCAS, and they will see your grad grades, but no it does not work to affect or combine with your undergrad grades, which are more important. But having done poorly in grad school will not look good. Schools like to see recent success in science courses so if the most recent things you have taken were lackluster, it is a harder sell.

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here because I too have a GPA question: I took an Italian class at an Italian university in Italy during the summer. I called AMCAS and they said that they do not need the transcript from the university when I submit the transcripts, but I was wondering if I do calculate the grade I got in that class in with the rest of my GPA (the credits transferred to my home university). Not that the 3 credits make much of a difference, I just don't want my application to be held up (I'm banking on applying as early as possible).