AMCAS GPA vs. school GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, How much did your GPA change after AMCAS processed your application. My overall GPA actually increased by .03, but my science GPA dropped by .17 (ouch).

Members don't see this ad.

You school calculates a science GPA?

Well, I had to calculate it for my committee to write me a letter. Apparently, I was way off. I still think it seems way too low.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure that you included every class you used in your calculation as biology, physics, math, or chemistry on the application and no others? .17 is pretty far off, and I am guessing that you must have ultimately had a different BCPM list for AMCAS and your own calculation. My overall GPA jumped .01, though, so there is some room for error.

I'm almost positive, but I guess I must have missed the C in my 5 credit math 101 class I took in 2000.

How do we calculate the AMCAS GPA on our own to double check? If we went to a school on the quarter system, do we convert all those units to semester so that the GPA is on Semester unit, the way the AMCAS people do it or does it not make a diff in the end since it's still an "average"
thanks!

by the way, you have way too many reach schools

don't bother applying to the UCs

where is the AMCAS GPA located on the application site? I cannot find it. You would think it would be under courses, but its not.

thanks very much

Do we have to resend our transcripts after summer school? I like my GPA and don't want my summer biochem grade to ruin it.

Do we have to resend our transcripts after summer school? I like my GPA and don't want my summer biochem grade to ruin it.

You should be more optimistic, and anticipate wanting to update your GPA after summer Biochem. But, I don't believe you would need to resend your transcript after summer. It is possible that schools would want to know your grades though.