AMCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralsan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i have a question...during my senior year in high school, i registered for a college-level physics course, and i didn't attend class because i was busy with my 4 advance placement courses. anyway, so i forgot to call in to withdraw the class, needless to say, i got an "F" in the course, something i only attended once. as i was looking thru the AMCAS application, they said to list all the courses that you attempted to take, even if they were not counted toward a degree by any college. and something about the AMCAS GPA, so will it affect my real GPA??
what's the differencce between the AMCAS GPA and a regular undergrad GPA ?? what the heck!
i'm so confused! does anyone have any comment on this? i'd appreciate any response.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying you obviously have re-taken that physics course by now. What happens with AACOMAS in these cases is both grades will be listed on your course list, therefore the schools will see your F. However, they calculate your GPA with the repeat grade only. I assume it's the same with AMCAS but the easiest thing to do is to call and ask. By the way I know this because of a poor grade - similar situation as yours.

good luck
Linda, MSII PCOM

Unfortunately, AMCAS figures EVERY grade into your GPA. If you took the class a 2nd time and made an A, there will be an A and an F figured into your grade point. AACOMAS, on the other hand, only takes into account the retake when figuring your GPA (although both grades will be seen by the schools).

If this is the only blemish on your record, coupled with the fact that this class was taken while you were in high school, I don't think it kills your chances of admissions. It will have an affect, but it can be explained much easier than an F during your jr. year of college could be.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you took that physics class in another school, (not your undergrad college), maybe you need not to report that.

I often wonder, does AMCAS really have the resources to discover courses taken in other school, which are not listed on the original undergraduate transcript?

In other words, dragonking, are you saying to lie? Man, you blast people for their comments on other threads, then come here and suggest this?

It is true that if you didn't take the physics course at your main college, the class may or may not be on your transcript, and I would say it is probably difficult for AMCAS to find out about it. In my case I had a semester of complete withdrawls from a university I enrolled in directly after high school (and was far from ready for school). I only stayed for about 2 weeks, and don't think I even attended each class more than once, before I packed it in. However, when I transferred to another school, that school printed on my transcript "University of Blah Blah-Complete Withdrawal." So, in my case I have to continually report this mistake, even though it truly had no bearing on my education.

I would say report it anyway. As I said above, if everything else on your transcript looks good, this SHOULD not keep you out (notice I didn't say WILL not--it's too hard to predict this). The worst that can happen if you report it, is that it drags down your GPA, but if everything else is good, and you get interviewed, you can explain it. The worst that can happen if you don't report it, is that somehow, surprisingly, AMCAS learns of your missing grade, informs your schools of the omission (which would look VERY suspicious) and you are left with no chance at admission to med school.

Boomer, if I offended you, I regret that. Honestly, I know many people don't input all their academic records. Believe it or not, that is a fact unfortunately.

However, I am not the one who did that.

End of discussion

So, Dragonking, do you mean to say that it is possible to erase a whole chunk of an academic record by simply not reporting it. Do some people just not mention that they had a horrible year at a University other than where the got their degree. This is kinda interesting, could you elaborate a bit. Just use a hypothetical situation.

Honesty is an important character for physicians.
One can't just keep telling lies after lies to get through medical school!!