Amcas gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoftyIdealist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I already had credit for Intro Biology I/II at my university (due to AP Biology), I decided to retake it anyway. But on my transcript, there are no credits associated with that grade. That is to say, it says 0 for credits by "Intro Biology" because I already had credit for it (the credits are instead found in my transfer (all AP's) portion of my transcript), which is understandable since one cannot receive credit twice for the same course, at least at my university. Despite this (grade and credit hours being found on different parts of the official transcript), will I still be able to legitimately enter this grade on the AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

The credits will count towards your total cumulative credits, but the grades will not be factored into your AMCAS GPA. It doesn't matter where on your official transcripts the credits are listed as long as they are there somewhere.

Whether or not AP classes are accepted by individual schools as satisfying their admissions requirements is school dependent and you will have to research on individual schools.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2010instructions080409.pdf

see 5th bullet point on the top of page 7 (its actually p15 of the pdf file).

hope this helps.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student

The credits will count towards your total cumulative credits, but the grades will not be factored into your AMCAS GPA. It doesn't matter where on your official transcripts the credits are listed as long as they are there somewhere.

Whether or not AP classes are accepted by individual schools as satisfying their admissions requirements is school dependent and you will have to research on individual schools.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2010instructions080409.pdf

see 5th bullet point on the top of page 7 (its actually p15 of the pdf file).

hope this helps.

this looks confusing. just a general question though, if a medical school looks at my GPA, they are going to look at the Aamc version of it right?

this looks confusing. just a general question though, if a medical school looks at my GPA, they are going to look at the Aamc version of it right?

It'll make more sense when you are actually filling out the application. Most medical schools look at the AMCAS GPA. The transcripts that you submit to AMCAS are not given to medical schools with your application (AMCAS just uses it to verify the courses and grades you entered). However, if a school requests a copy of your transcripts before or during the interview process, then they might be interested in what GPA is on your transcripts.