Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

AMCAS GPAs for Reapplicant

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by tzekel, 05.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tzekel

tzekel 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

I will be applying to medical school for the 2014-2015 cycle due to begin this June. I previously applied in the 2012-2013 cycle (the cycle before last) and I have a sort of stupid/paranoid question regarding the AMCAS-calculated GPAs:

If I haven't taken any new courses since my last application, will my AMCAS GPA(s) change from their previous values? Does AMCAS change its algorithms between cycles?

I know it's a silly question, but I can't help being paranoid that my GPAs will be calculated to be lower this time around, even though I haven't taken any new courses.

Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, it should stay the same.

4. tzekel

tzekel 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks!

5. gonnif

gonnif Only 1435 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    it doesnt change, and even if it did, there isnt anything that you could do. So therefore, it shouldnt be a factor in your stress/paranoia

Rule 1: Take a Breath

6. PreMedOrDead

PreMedOrDead I'm sure you'll get in... 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    And to this day I always thought Rule 1 was "If it can be stressed about, it will be."

7. Lost Jackal

Lost Jackal

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Well...I was a re-applicant with the exact same transcripts and my GPA DID change (but only went down by 0.01-0.02 or something negligible like that). Yes, I complained to AMCAS (twice!), and no, they didn't change it to what it had been the previous year. Even though I explained to them EXACTLY how they calculated it incorrectly the second time round. Not that I'm bitter or anything... :)

8. gonnif

gonnif Only 1435 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No, no, no, that's in the "Premed 10 Commandments" which starts with

1) Thou shalt be paranoid

About the ads