1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

AMCAS GPAs for Reapplicant

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tzekel, May 15, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tzekel

tzekel 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I will be applying to medical school for the 2014-2015 cycle due to begin this June. I previously applied in the 2012-2013 cycle (the cycle before last) and I have a sort of stupid/paranoid question regarding the AMCAS-calculated GPAs:

If I haven't taken any new courses since my last application, will my AMCAS GPA(s) change from their previous values? Does AMCAS change its algorithms between cycles?

I know it's a silly question, but I can't help being paranoid that my GPAs will be calculated to be lower this time around, even though I haven't taken any new courses.

Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    No, it should stay the same.

4. tzekel

tzekel 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks!

5. gonnif

gonnif Only 1194 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    it doesnt change, and even if it did, there isnt anything that you could do. So therefore, it shouldnt be a factor in your stress/paranoia

Rule 1: Take a Breath

6. PreMedOrDead

PreMedOrDead I'm sure you'll get in... 2+ Year Member

May 19, 2012
    A dark, dark cave
    MDApps:
    And to this day I always thought Rule 1 was "If it can be stressed about, it will be."

7. Lost Jackal

Lost Jackal

Apr 28, 2014
    MDApps:
    Well...I was a re-applicant with the exact same transcripts and my GPA DID change (but only went down by 0.01-0.02 or something negligible like that). Yes, I complained to AMCAS (twice!), and no, they didn't change it to what it had been the previous year. Even though I explained to them EXACTLY how they calculated it incorrectly the second time round. Not that I'm bitter or anything... :)

8. gonnif

gonnif Only 1194 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    No, no, no, that's in the "Premed 10 Commandments" which starts with

1) Thou shalt be paranoid