AMCAS Grade calculation? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sulwyn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I completely F'ed up my second semester of freshmen year and up until now I had decided to do chemical engineering. I've read that it doesn't matter what my major is so I was thinking it was just better to pick an easy major. My GPA will be cumulative 3.4 and 3.6 science by the end of spring(end of sophomore yr). With Grade forgiveness I was aiming for graduating with 3.8/3.7 or 3.7/3.6 but I just found out that AMCAS doesn't do Grade forgiveness.:scared: The 3 classes which are bringing down my grade don't even help my major in any way. :mad:

Does AMCAS average the classes I retake and then make it 1 grade or is it just like a completely different class when averaging my GPA? This makes a HUGE difference. Assuming I had
Basket Weaving F
Underwater Basketweaving A
(retake)Basket Weaving A
Would my gpa by 6/2 or 8/3?

I am Puerto Rican and I think I can still get a 3.7 if the grades are averaged. What are my chances to get in if i get 3.6/3.6 and 30 mcat? Should i stick to chemical engineering and get like a 3.5?

EDIT: I live in Florida and i am interested in any MD school in the USA

I am totally confused by your framing of the question, but simply put, AMCAS does not do grade replacement - it averages the F with the A to come up with a C average for two classes worth of quality points, but both the A and the F stay on the transcript...in your example Underwater Basketweaving has nothing to do with it...

Last edited:
Hey I live in florida as well, if you're referring to the grade forgiveness policy at the florida state schools that allow you to retake 2 courses, it only counts for your uGpa. For your amcas gpa ALL grades count =/.

Also if you're from puerto rico, I think you qualify as URM (not entirely sure). If thats the case then you have a really good shot with a 3.6/3.6 30 mcat. Even without URM status you'll have a decent shot with that, depending on your extracurricular activites. Florida schools give strong preference to residents, so you should be able to get into one of the 7 instate if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am totally confused by your framing of the question, but simply put, AMCAS does not do grade replacement - it averages the F with the A to come up with a C average for two classes worth of quality points...in your example Underwater Basketweaving has nothing to do with it...

sorry to confuse you but if there are 2 different classes then what im asking makes sense. Lets say I take biology and i fail it and then I retake that class and get an A. Assume that the only other class i have taken is calculus and i got an A in it.
Biology F
Calculus A
Biology A
Would my gpa be (4+0+4)/3 or would it be (2+4)/2. The first would give me 2.666 and the second would give me 3.0. So it makes a large difference.

sorry to confuse you but if there are 2 different classes then what im asking makes sense. Lets say I take biology and i fail it and then I retake that class and get an A. Assume that the only other class i have taken is calculus and i got an A in it.
Biology F
Calculus A
Biology A
Would my gpa be (4+0+4)/3 or would it be (2+4)/2. The first would give me 2.666 and the second would give me 3.0. So it makes a large difference.
it'd be 4+0+4