amcas grade question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubbbie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does amcas do to calculate withdrawals? Do they have to appear on the grade portion of the amcas? Are they really bad to have?

Also -- I have an F on my transcript that was not calculated into my college's GPA. Basically, I was late on turning in my senior thesis due to IRB stuff, and I had to accept an F with the knowledge that it would be replaced the following trimester when I finished the thesis. Does this F factor into my amcas GPA? If I don't list it on AMCAS, what would happen?

Members don't see this ad.

cubbbie said:
What does amcas do to calculate withdrawals? Do they have to appear on the grade portion of the amcas? Are they really bad to have?

Also -- I have an F on my transcript that was not calculated into my college's GPA. Basically, I was late on turning in my senior thesis due to IRB stuff, and I had to accept an F with the knowledge that it would be replaced the following trimester when I finished the thesis. Does this F factor into my amcas GPA? If I don't list it on AMCAS, what would happen?

I would think that if the F doesn't show up when you send in your transcript to AMCAS (it's already been replaced) then it doesn't count. If it's still there, then yes I would think it would count.

If these are on your official transcript, then yes, you have to include them on the amcas. If say the F was erased from your transcript after you turned in your thesis, then you don't report it.

A 'W' does not factor into your gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anastasis said:
I would think that if the F doesn't show up when you send in your transcript to AMCAS (it's already been replaced) then it doesn't count. If it's still there, then yes I would think it would count.

After I posted this I think I answered my own question. My school's policy was that the grade would still appear, but it would be for zero credits -- thus not affecting the overal GPA. I'm assuming (hoping?!?) that amcas would use the same methods. So basically I ended up with an F in a class that was worth 0 credits. Hmmm ....

cubbbie said:
After I posted this I think I answered my own question. My school's policy was that the grade would still appear, but it would be for zero credits -- thus not affecting the overal GPA. I'm assuming (hoping?!?) that amcas would use the same methods. So basically I ended up with an F in a class that was worth 0 credits. Hmmm ....

Was it an F with an Incomplete that was eventually replaced with a new grade? If so, it will show up differently on AMCAS.

medicalbound said:
Was it an F with an Incomplete that was eventually replaced with a new grade? If so, it will show up differently on AMCAS.

I'm not sure my school had incompletes. It was an F that showed up as a "re-take" and ended up being worth 0 credits. If I had my stuff together back then, I think I would have preferred an incomplete.