AMCAS Grading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUmiken12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know this has come up before, but the search engine isn't working, so I don't know how to do it. I go to Baylor, and I got a B+ in one class, but I don't know how to enter it into the grading system. I thought AMCAS did the +/- system, but when I enter my grade for the course, the AMCAS grade remains blank. Am I doing anything wrong? Do I need to put B instead of B+?
Another question (and I know this one is horridly stupid), but are credit hours the same thing as semester hours? Thanks in advance...

p.s. - are physical education classes (called human performance here at Baylor) considered health science classes or education classes? also, would an art history course be considered a history course, or a fine arts course?

Members don't see this ad.

art history-- fine arts.

phys ed-- i put "other". it didn't seem to fit in with my other health science classes (ie, i took biomechanics through the exercise and sports science department).

hope this helps...

Here's another question: if you have to take a class to graduate, but you don't get any credit hours for that class, for the credit hours box, do you put "0" or leave it blank?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didnt receive credit for a class, put 0 in the credit hours box.

I am a kinesiology major (formerly called human performance and health science) and most of my classes I classified as health science. Some of them I did classify as physical education or just education, and some of them were more biology. You just have to look at the content of the particular class and decide for yourself. Use the instruction book on the AMCAS website to help.

As far as entering your grades, it sounds like you are doing it right. I just typed "B+" in the OT grade box and tabbed down to the AMCAS grade box and it put "B+" for me. Hope this helps...

I put my PE classes (aerobics and squash) as education, because the help box said to. :)

I also entered my pluses and it kept them that way (except A+ is swithched to A :wink: )

I put zero credit hours for PE classes and other no-credit courses.

When I tried to put in "B+" nothing came up in the AMCAS grade...well crap, is something wrong? Also, three hours (or however many hours the class is) shows up in the "Supplemental Hours" box. Is this okay? And our credit hours the same thing as semester hours?

if the class you got the B+ in is the same one that you got zero credit hours for, then it makes sense that you can't enter the grade and that it shows up as supplemental hours. i remember that my pass/fail courses showed up as supplemental hours, which is where courses that don't factor into your GPA go. if you didn't receive any credit for the course, then the B+ means nothing as far as your GPA goes.

no, my grade isn't for the pass/fail class...it's for a regular lecture course.

•••quote:••• I put my PE classes (aerobics and squash) as education, because the help box said to.
••••Really? I assumed that a physical education class listed under the "Education" code would imply that you were learning how to teach it. (I learned how to swim, but I did not learn how to teach swimming...) Did other folks identify phys ed classes as "education" classes or as "other" classes?

I dont think it matters much if you put PE under education or health sciences or whatever. Its not a science class so it will go under your all other gpa anyway.

Foxy is right. PE classes are classified as education classes.

physical EDUCATION

BUmiken12, if you get B+ for a graded class, it should show up as B+. If it's not showing up, I think there's something wrong. Contact [email protected]. Make sure you do that because B+ is 3.3 & B 3.0. You don't want to lower your cum GPA. Credit hours are the same as semester units. Even though I have quarter units, AMCAS translates them into semester units.

thank you so much, Nietzsche!!!!!!!