AMCAS heads up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.Pearlman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am almost finished with the AMCAS, and I don't want anything going wrong with it so I just wanted to ask what mistakes I should be aware of what others already had. Also, for the course name, you abbreviate right?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, how come when I enter semester 2 (spring) of Year 99, it shows as semester 2 (spring) of academic Year 98. This would mean that I was in college before I graduated high school, am I doing something wrong.....

Originally posted by J.Pearlman
Also, how come when I enter semester 2 (spring) of Year 99, it shows as semester 2 (spring) of academic Year 98. This would mean that I was in college before I graduated high school, am I doing something wrong.....

that same thing happened to me, i think its because it counts the academic year.....so if the academic year was 98-99, both semesters show up as 98.............

also, how do you put AP scores on AAMC

nero

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same trouble with dates entering courses into the form, but my pre-med advisor assured me that regardless of how inscrutable it appears in the AMCAS form, the data are given to the schools in a manner that is readily understandable.

The only other tip that I can give you is with the essay. If you cut 'n paste your essay from Word, be sure you proofread it in the AMCAS form: some of the symbols in word (like quotation marks) will come through as other symbols.

Good luck!

to AP comment:

i don't think you have to. your official transcript will tell AMCAS exactly what your college gave you credit for and the whole thing (the total no. of AP hrs) shows up as a separate item on your AMCAS application after you get verified (meaning AMCAS has received your school's transcript).

You do have to put in AP credits.... it just comes up as AP on the transcript page. i forget now how i did, but there is DEFINITELY a way. i put in Biology AP for the course name, and then AP1 as the course number (i might not have writtten part in myself..may have been AMCAS). the AMCAS grade was "G," but i think they did that, too. check the instruction manual/HELP pages and with you pre-med advisor if you're still confused. Also, the comment on the years was right...any classes taken from sept 98-May 99 show up as 98.

:) good luck!!

You'd enter the AP in under the summer of the year you graduated from high school and went into college. So lets say I was class of 1996 for my high school. Then I'd enter the AP under "Summer of 1996" in the AMCAS. So then that also means you started your first term of freshman year on the August or September of 1996 as well.

i have taken two astronomy classes (AST-248 and AST-105), one given by the physics dept(dealt with mostly physics), and the other was taught by the astronomy dept (about facts of the solar system, all astro, no physics). Now, can I put one in my bcpm gpa and leave the other out. Would that look suspicious? I just dont want to have to delay my app any further.