amcas help? "work activities"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shevie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. im having a really hard time eliminating stuff from my work/experiences section!!! (for those who dont know yet, the limit is 15)
i have

4 "research/lab" (1 clinical project, 2 labs - in college, nih lab postbac)
3 "publications"
3 "conferences attended"
1 "teaching/tutoring" (im not bothering to even list all my tutoring experience, because i have to eliminate something-but this was actually teaching high school bio after graduating-i think that is a real bona fide experience that should go down...)
1 "other" - internship for my governor's re-election campaign (i know its not science related but i think it makes me an interesting and more well rounded candidate)
3 "community service/volunteer-medical/clinical" - volunteering in two nursing homes and one assisted living facility throughout high school, college, and after graduating
2 "intercollegiate activities" - biology club president (not just a bs position we organized a ton of programs, student newspaper science and health editor,
4 "honors/awards/recognitions"
deans list, graduation cum laude, biol. departmental award, presidential award for academic excellence

any advice about what i can eliminate?? i doubt im the only busy pre-med with this problem. i mean, can i combine my research and publications? just put the publication down in the experience description section?
should i do that with my volunteering experience,since it was all in the same area anyway, just put from 2001-present, i volunteer weekly in various nursing homes. things ive done at nursing homes xy and z, include a b and c???
should i just eliminate all my honors/awards/recognitions and let them just see that from my grades?
i dont know what to eliminate, and my pre-med advisor is out of the country this week! IM SO CONFUSED!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Combine Awards into 1 and Publications into 1. Maybe Conferences Attended into 1 as well.
That can free up some space.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the awards/conferences don't look too important. If you want to include everything, you'll have to combine activiites into one slot.

Come up with the 15 things that were actually meaningful experiences that have made you the person you are today. Everything else is just fluff.

I would drop the awards and conferences, and combine the research with the publications that they match to.

That puts you at 11.

Easy peasy.

Come up with the 15 things that were actually meaningful experiences that have made you the person you are today. Everything else is just fluff.

I would drop the awards and conferences, and combine the research with the publications that they match to.

That puts you at 11.

Easy peasy.

Hey, quick question about the research/lab experience. So I just worked on two research projects for the past year and they have been submitted to journals, but will take at least 6 - 12 months to be accepted (hopefully). Should I mark them as publications/research?
Can I update my application later?

Thanks!

Drop the Dean's List and cum laude. A majority of the applicants will have it, it can be easily inferred from your grades, and it honestly doesn't mean much....unlike a research project, which is unique to you and is something you can extensively discuss in an interview.

That leaves 19, with 4 more to eliminate. I would drop the conferences. If you presented any of your 3 publications at a conference, simply enter it in the publications space (e.g. "published on this date, presented at X conference"). If you can drop all 3, that's down to 16, and 1 more to eliminate. I presume your publications are the direct result of your research, which leads to further combination, making it possible to trim the list to below 15 even.

Hey, quick question about the research/lab experience. So I just worked on two research projects for the past year and they have been submitted to journals, but will take at least 6 - 12 months to be accepted (hopefully). Should I mark them as publications/research?
Can I update my application later?

Thanks!

I wouldn't put them down as publicatons if they have not yet been accepted by a journal. When they are accepted then you can send a letter of update, but if for some reason it takes longer than expected you haven't put down false information on your app.

hi, i just wanted to thank everyone for their quick input!! im going to combine alot of my activities into one. I just wasnt sure if that was frowned upon by the schools - like ill enter in 2002-2006- laboratory/research - i dont want them to think i was doing research full time for four summers at first glance, I i just didnt want to be deceptive. but Im going to combine alot of things and get it to way below fifteen.
Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!