Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

amcas help? "work activities"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shevie, May 3, 2007.

1. shevie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hi. im having a really hard time eliminating stuff from my work/experiences section!!! (for those who dont know yet, the limit is 15)
    i have

4 "research/lab" (1 clinical project, 2 labs - in college, nih lab postbac)
    3 "publications"
    3 "conferences attended"
    1 "teaching/tutoring" (im not bothering to even list all my tutoring experience, because i have to eliminate something-but this was actually teaching high school bio after graduating-i think that is a real bona fide experience that should go down...)
    1 "other" - internship for my governor's re-election campaign (i know its not science related but i think it makes me an interesting and more well rounded candidate)
    3 "community service/volunteer-medical/clinical" - volunteering in two nursing homes and one assisted living facility throughout high school, college, and after graduating
    2 "intercollegiate activities" - biology club president (not just a bs position we organized a ton of programs, student newspaper science and health editor,
    4 "honors/awards/recognitions"
    deans list, graduation cum laude, biol. departmental award, presidential award for academic excellence

any advice about what i can eliminate?? i doubt im the only busy pre-med with this problem. i mean, can i combine my research and publications? just put the publication down in the experience description section?
    should i do that with my volunteering experience,since it was all in the same area anyway, just put from 2001-present, i volunteer weekly in various nursing homes. things ive done at nursing homes xy and z, include a b and c???
    should i just eliminate all my honors/awards/recognitions and let them just see that from my grades?
    i dont know what to eliminate, and my pre-med advisor is out of the country this week! IM SO CONFUSED!!!
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Combine Awards into 1 and Publications into 1. Maybe Conferences Attended into 1 as well.
    That can free up some space.

4. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    are the conferences important?

5. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Some of the awards/conferences don't look too important. If you want to include everything, you'll have to combine activiites into one slot.

6. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Come up with the 15 things that were actually meaningful experiences that have made you the person you are today. Everything else is just fluff.

I would drop the awards and conferences, and combine the research with the publications that they match to.

That puts you at 11.

Easy peasy.

7. Kiara

5+ Year Member

Hey, quick question about the research/lab experience. So I just worked on two research projects for the past year and they have been submitted to journals, but will take at least 6 - 12 months to be accepted (hopefully). Should I mark them as publications/research?
    Can I update my application later?

Thanks!

8. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Drop the Dean's List and cum laude. A majority of the applicants will have it, it can be easily inferred from your grades, and it honestly doesn't mean much....unlike a research project, which is unique to you and is something you can extensively discuss in an interview.

That leaves 19, with 4 more to eliminate. I would drop the conferences. If you presented any of your 3 publications at a conference, simply enter it in the publications space (e.g. "published on this date, presented at X conference"). If you can drop all 3, that's down to 16, and 1 more to eliminate. I presume your publications are the direct result of your research, which leads to further combination, making it possible to trim the list to below 15 even.

9. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't put them down as publicatons if they have not yet been accepted by a journal. When they are accepted then you can send a letter of update, but if for some reason it takes longer than expected you haven't put down false information on your app.

10. shevie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hi, i just wanted to thank everyone for their quick input!! im going to combine alot of my activities into one. I just wasnt sure if that was frowned upon by the schools - like ill enter in 2002-2006- laboratory/research - i dont want them to think i was doing research full time for four summers at first glance, I i just didnt want to be deceptive. but Im going to combine alot of things and get it to way below fifteen.
    Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!