AMCAS HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glory

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm dying over here..I've been done with my application since June, except the Practice Vision essay. I don't know what to do cuz I have nothing to say...there's soooo many unknowns about my specialty, school, etc. I was wondering if other people had this problem? Did you turn it in w/o that essay, or how did you come up with anything. I'm applying to 17 schools, and I don't want to shut out any options by going off on a tangent about a specialty that they don't have....errrrgg! Help

Members don't see this ad.

theres no requirement that you have to put down a specialty. Just tell the truth, say that you would be happy to be involved many things, and just list the specialties. Also, you can talk about other things too, like family life, leisure life, research experience, what part of the country...

just get it done, becuase amcas is slow.

it's not an option to submit your application without the practice vision essay! if you were allowed to do this, most people probably wouldn't have bothered to write it.

and it doesn't matter if a school doesn't have the specialty you're interested in--none of that matters until you apply for residencies, which you can of course do elsewhere. you can do an away rotation at other schools during your clinical years if you're interested in a specialty that your school doesn't have any kind of faculty in.

have you really been struggling over this essay since JUNE?! it's nearly october!!! don't let one essay hold your application back like this--just write something about what sounds interesting to you now and get that application in!!! AMCAS is having some serious problems and it is *really* to your benefit to get that app in as soon as possible because as it is, it's going to be weeks, possibly months, after you submit AMCAS before med schools get any word of it.