AMCAS ID# On LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I remember reading somewhere that you should have your recommenders put your amcas id# on your letters to help prevent them from becoming lost. Did anyone else hear this, or am I making it up?

Members don't see this ad.

I also read that somewhere and I asked everyone writing me a LOR to put the id# on there. Since some of my letters may get to my school before the application even gets there, it will make it easier for them to match them and keep them from getting lost. I would ask people to do that if I were you, can't hurt and may prevent a lot of headaches in the future!

i heard that too, but my letters were written so long ago that i didn't have an id at the time. i'm sure it increases chance of screwup, but i'm not too worried.
-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools ask for it, but I never had it on mine and there was no problem.

I had requested that my LOR's be properly equipped with my amcas#, but somebody at school dropped the ball. The result was that instead of having completed applications in September, I had to rush in order to get a second copy sent before the December deadline (I would have never known that my file was incomplete had I not gotten antsy and called the admissions offices). Unfortunately, I only applied to 7 schools, and a late (in the process) application did not help me a bit. I lucked out and was eventually interviewed by three schools (in late March and early April), waitlisted at two, and accepted at one. It may be that you can get by without the ID#, but I would make sure that you call the schools regularly until you are certain that your app. is complete. Good Luck!

Frost

They usually ask for your social security number or amcas id in the letters.

For example, "this is to recommend Octopus doctorwannabe (SS # xxx-xx-xxxx) to xyz school of medicine". Your professor will know how it goes :)

ok...so, my question is if we still need to ask individual recommenders to write our SS #'s/AMCAS ID #'s on our letters if we intend to have a pre-med committee write the actual letter. What do you guys think?

I would think that the pre-med committee will know to put your AMCAS ID and/or SSN on its composite letter. I had all my letters sent by a letter service last year. They used my SSN. I had 4 letters sent to 23 schools and had no problems.

somewhat related question.

could a LOR from a public health professor (i took a lower division class) be considered a "science" letter?

and if i have an LOR from a faculty sponsor for a student organization i started, would that be a non-science, even though i didn't take a class with her?

thanks

•••quote:•••Originally posted by simpleG:
•could a LOR from a public health professor (i took a lower division class) be considered a "science" letter?

and if i have an LOR from a faculty sponsor for a student organization i started, would that be a non-science, even though i didn't take a class with her?•••••I would say yes to the first (although some schools specifically ask for letters from bio, chem and physics profs), and no to the second. Non-science mans you have taken a non-science course from that person. Sponsors, bosses, docs you've shadowed are "extra" letters beyond the usual 2 science 1 non-science recs that schools request.

None of my LORs had my AMCAS ID on them, and I never had a problem with the letters getting lost. Don't worry about it. :)

Thanks for the advice, all. Although it may not be absolutely necessary, I think I'll tell the recommenders to put the # on.

Just wanted to add my two cents...

The place where I read that you needed your AMCAS ID was on the "tips" link on the AMCAS homepage.

I asked my school counselor about this, and she said that for UCI, they just write down your AMCAS ID in front of the folder where they keep all your letters. When they go to send it out, that # will be in the front along w/ all your ID info.