AMCAS is closed for 2016 year, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shmoclo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have an upcoming interview in early February at a school that I really want to attend. I just realized that the school has no limit on the number of letters of rec you can send them/ I have a nice letter of rec from a physician I shadowed that I want to send them but cant since AMCAS is closed for 2016 cycle. Is there any other way for me to send the letter to the school? I have the letter in interfolio but the school explicitly states they only take letters from AMCAS so idk. I realize that it's prob too late and my best bet would be to contact the school but any advice is appreciated. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Before you send this letter, what do you think it will add? What will this physician whom you shadowed be able to say about your character? Shadowing is a passive process - there's not much that you do other than observe and reflect. Unfortunately for the LOR, those are generally internal processes and are unlikely to be reflected in this LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Outside of the few schools that seem to appreciate these types of LORs(U of Arizona, Rosalind as examples) there is just no value at all in sending a shadowing LOR, especially as an "update", to a school. At best it gets ignored, at worst in the cases of schools not receptive/keen to updates, it could potentially even be a negative to do something like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't send it. Shadowing LORs are fluff at best.

Reactions: 1 user
One more fluff LOR from a clinician is NOT going to improve your chances one iota.

Hi all. I have an upcoming interview in early February at a school that I really want to attend. I just realized that the school has no limit on the number of letters of rec you can send them/ I have a nice letter of rec from a physician I shadowed that I want to send them but cant since AMCAS is closed for 2016 cycle. Is there any other way for me to send the letter to the school? I have the letter in interfolio but the school explicitly states they only take letters from AMCAS so idk. I realize that it's prob too late and my best bet would be to contact the school but any advice is appreciated. thank you!