AMCAS is highly inefficient yet again

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Iamdumb, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Iamdumb

Iamdumb Member

I submitted my AMCAS on 11 July and it seems that Columbia received my unverified info and sent my a secondary but neither Dartmouth or WashU did. I called up Dartmouth and WashU to find out and they checked their newly arrived records from AMCAS and my data was still not it and this is by electronic submssion.

Does anyone have the same problem?

I have no idea what AMCAS is doing since I am paying $700 for extremely bad and inefficient service and long phone waiting times. AMCAS needs to corporatize and be more efficient. In the real world, as a commerical entity, AMCAS would have gone Kaput millenia ago as would ahve the MCAT.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member

Medical Student

There are several threads devoted to this. This is how AMCAS functions.

4. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Your information may not be downloaded to the schools until you're verified. I know that your email, name, etc are released to the schools you applied to, but the vast majority of schools don't respond to that and seem to be waiting for verification.

If you just submitted on July 11 (are your transcripts in?) you might not be verified until early August.

5. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    AMCAS sends out basic info about applicants to schools on the app lists before verification. Some schools that do not pre-screen go ahead and send secondaries automatically. They will not have real application materials on file until your app is verified. You will get many more secondaries after verification. There is nothing wrong with AMCAS.

6. Iamdumb

Iamdumb Member

Well, I guess what I am trying to say is:

1) I know Dartmouth, UWash and Chicago do not pre-screen

2) I've called them up and they told me that they don't even have my basic information on file and they've had several batches of information sent to them

3) I am not expecting to be verified yet but I do expect that my information be with the schools esp these 3.

In short, I am just wondering why these 3 schools don't have my basic information. I know that my info has already been sent out since I got my secondaries from COlumbia already.

7. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I applied to 16 schools and the only one I got a secondary from before verification was Columbia.

By the way, the WashU secondary is online on their website, so you can already start filling it out if you want to.

8. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Those schools probably don't access the information AMCAS makes available to them. Columbia has an auto-send set up, which is contingent on you submitting. Columbia doesn't even have applicant files made yet. I spoke with them last week.
    Other schools have an auto-send set up, contingent on you being verified. I received Columbia and everything else about three days after I was verified. V-6/23, Secondaries started coming 6/26.

9. Iamdumb

Iamdumb Member

I guess I am getting all sorts of confusing info here. I check with UWash and Dartmouth and Chicago and they went to check their basic information pile and I wasn't even in there.

Basically, I am OK with no secondaries, no reply but I am NOT OK with my info not even being with the schools who tell me that they receive info that has not been verified and mine's not in there.

10. WildTumor

WildTumor Senior Member

Medical Student
    Some schools will send secondaries and file your information before AMCAS verification...Columbia and NYMC are two examples.

11. Iamdumb

Iamdumb Member

Well, in short I just want to know why the schools have not received my basic information yet i.e. the unverified info.

12. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, but their basic information pile might be verified applicants only. I don't think anyone who isn't verified has gotten anything besides Columbia or NYMC.

13. Iamdumb

Iamdumb Member

And here I am reading abt all these unverified people getting UChicago, Dartmouth and WashU and I am getting really frustrated by AMCAS. They need to corporatize! We need to introduced some competition into this area to bring prices down. A monopoly's not good. Either that or we need better corporate governance.

14. TIGIBedHead

TIGIBedHead Fever to Tell

There are some other schools that have sent secondaries to unverified applicants. I'll find the thread and bump it for you guys.

15. iceman77_7

iceman77_7 Senior Member

Medical Student
    Hmm... I'm verified and I still haven't gotten NYMC. :-\

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Relax. Its very early in the game. I did receive Dartmouth before I was verified (via snail mail), but it took a week or two after submission I think before I heard from them. I received UMDNJ almost next day after submission (pre-verification). Bottom line is your still early. If after a week or two after being verified you still don't have any record at the schools you mentioned, I would start contacting AMCAS and digging a little deeper.

18. floridakppr

Pre-Medical
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question.

My AMCAS is verified, but I need to modify one word in my personal statement and one word in my work/activities section (I mistakenly identified a professor with the wrong first name). How long should I expect to wait before my AMCAS reviews these changes?

19. Erina

Erina MS-IV

Medical Student
    You can't make those changes. Sorry!