AMCAS is stupid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty upset this morning because I realized that my GPA is lower than I thought since for AMCAS I have to count courses that I took outside my undergrad institution. I took Calc II and oceanography (to complete bio requirements) outside my school, but only the credit transfered, not the grade, so I figured I'd just get Bs and be fine. Well, now I realize that these Bs are going to count in my GPA for AMCAS, which really sucks. I think it's stupid that a little mistake like that (not knowing that the grades would matter) could determine my likelihood of getting into med school. At the time I thought I was being smart by using my time wisely and not studying more than I needed to!

Does anybody else sometimes get depressed that some stupid mistakes they made could have such a big effect on their chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Fermata said:
2 B's aren't gonna sink your GPA.

Just keep working at it.

Well I already graduated. I have mostly As in science courses but a C in a 5 credit physics course. It's not like I think I can't get in at all, but I just feel like it hurts me. I think I'm just scared I won't get in somewhere. Hopefully I"ll do well on the MCAT and that will make the difference

thanks though

Members don't see this ad :)
tigress said:
I'm pretty upset this morning because I realized that my GPA is lower than I thought since for AMCAS I have to count courses that I took outside my undergrad institution. I took Calc II and oceanography (to complete bio requirements) outside my school, but only the credit transfered, not the grade, so I figured I'd just get Bs and be fine. Well, now I realize that these Bs are going to count in my GPA for AMCAS, which really sucks. I think it's stupid that a little mistake like that (not knowing that the grades would matter) could determine my likelihood of getting into med school. At the time I thought I was being smart by using my time wisely and not studying more than I needed to!

Does anybody else sometimes get depressed that some stupid mistakes they made could have such a big effect on their chances?

Oceanograpy won't count toward your BCPM, only calc will. This will help spread it out a little bit. also, calc isn't a strict pre-req, so they won't look at it as closely as say organic, or physics. keep your head up. You don't know how many times I walked out of a final thinking my med school chances were out the door.

Dr Turninkoff said:
Oceanograpy won't count toward your BCPM, only calc will. This will help spread it out a little bit. also, calc isn't a strict pre-req, so they won't look at it as closely as say organic, or physics. keep your head up. You don't know how many times I walked out of a final thinking my med school chances were out the door.

Really? Oceanography won't count? Thanks, you made my day :)
(it's the little things that count :laugh: )

yeah, I got a B in my EMT class, which was at a post-sec institution, so it looks like that has to go on there too

Don't panic--I made B's in Both Intro Chem classes and Org. Chem II and I got six interviews. It's all about the MCAT :-D

by outside institution , do you guys mean Community College or something????????