SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Amcas is taking time away from mcat studying......what to do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by basha, Jul 21, 2002.

1. basha

basha Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2001
    Hello everyone. I had been revising my essay in hopes of submitting my essay asap, but since the mcat is so close im not sure if im going to have time to submit it now. At the same time, if i submit it the week after the mcats (on or a lil before august 27th), it might lower my chances significantly. Even if I did decide on submitting the amcas now, the secondaries i recieve... (1) I wouldn't have time to fill out cuz of mcat studying (2) The 3 recommendations sent along with the committee letter, can only be sent out when mcat scores are recieved in october sometime. If anyone is having a similar dilemma, please help me out and your suggestions, thanks a lot.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator 7+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Based on what you've written, I'd recommend you forget about AMCAS and just focus on studying the next few weeks. The reason I write this is b/c you've written that your school won't send out your recommendation(s) until October (at the earliest), and to my knowledge, no school will interview you w/out those letters. AAMC seems to be on the ball this year in terms of verifying apps in a timely manner. So, if you submit right after taking the Aug. MCAT, you'll probably get processed/transmitted in September and start receiving secondaries sometime shortly thereafter. If you submit your secondaries as you receive them, you'll be set for evaluation once your schools have received the committee recs. If you haven't already done so, send your transcripts to AAMC and call to verify that they've been received. When you get tired of studying physics, the chems, and bio spend a few minutes on your statement. Right now, the MCAT should be your priority. If you fare poorly on it b/c you didn't spend enough time studying, it won't matter how early you submitted AMCAS. Best of luck to you. :)

4. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Banned Banned

Thing is right. Generally, you want to submit your app ASAP even if you are taking the august mcat so that schools can get a file started on you. However, you seem to having a time crunch, and you don't want to send in a PS riduled with errors just because you were stressed about the MCAT. Relax, study for the MCAT and do well on it. (Stress will adversely effect your performance on the MCAT too). Then, the day after taking your MCAT, work on your AMCAS for the next couple of days (probably keep working on your PS for at least a week), send it off and everything should be ok.

5. geneman

geneman The Transgenic Hobo 7+ Year Member

May 5, 2002
    Caveman
    basha,

Your dilemma is kind of like eating a vitamin pill every day, but not getting enough calories.

Know your priorities. Doing better on the MCAT far outweighs submitting in July vs. August.

6. basha

basha Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2001
    thanks a lot everyone, appreciate your help much. I am hopeful my app wouldn't be too late and everything might just work out.

7. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2002
    BTW, do you work in addition to studying for MCAT? If you do, I would understand why you do not have time. How much time a day, how many days a week do you study for the test?

8. LizardKing

LizardKing Veteran Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Your MCAT is more important right now. Do well and it will offset any disadvantage of applying late.

BTW, don't believe the crap the premed advisors tell you. Turning in AMCAS around Aug. is not a sin. It might delay the interview process a little bit but if you're a strong candidate it should have no effect on the overall outcome. Bottom line: if a school wants you it wants you.

Now AMCAS in Sept.-Oct. is pushing it.

9. vyc

vyc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Chicago
    spiderman asks a very impt question.
    are you also working or volunteering or doing something else besides studying?

it's hard to imagine you not having time to revise your essay.
    i really think you should be revising now.
    if you set aside ONE hour, or even 40 minutes, a day, you could revise your essay.

revisions take time and ideas change.
    instead of doing revisions all in one day, it is much better to spread them out so your subconscious can work on it.
    at least imho.

10. lola

lola Bovine Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    california
    SDN is taking time away from my studying :)

i've decided to wait to complete secondaries until after the mcat. anyone think this is a bad idea? i'm trying to think the essays through in my head beforehand so that i'll be able to crank them out quickly after the mcat.