AMCAS letter of recommendations signature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MShopes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the signature has to be by a professor's hand or it can be signed electronically? My medical school of interest does not specify.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are only using this letter for that one school of interest, you should probably get a real sig.

Unless you are only using this letter for that one school of interest, you should probably get a real sig.

Well I'm applying to more than one school but neither the medical schools nor AMCAS specify what kind of signature. Any one else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm applying to more than one school but neither the medical schools nor AMCAS specify what kind of signature. Any one else?

You should assume real signatures unless explicitly stated that electronic signatures are accepted.

You should assume real signatures unless explicitly stated that electronic signatures are accepted.

Okay thanks. The professors can create a username and password login and upload their letter of recommendation that is signed by them right? Does it have to be in a pdf format or it can be in microsoft word? Please don't assume that I'm lazy to read the FAQ, I have been reading like crazy on there. Thanks !

Okay thanks. The professors can create a username and password login and upload their letter of recommendation that is signed by them right? Does it have to be in a pdf format or it can be in microsoft word? Please don't assume that I'm lazy to read the FAQ, I have been reading like crazy on there. Thanks !

I've never used the letter writer application, but since the FAQ only mentions PDFs, I'd just stick with that.

Sign up for Interfolio and have your profs submit through there. They have several options for signatures. The simplest one lets your writer create a signature using their mouse.

Sign up for Interfolio and have your profs submit through there. They have several options for signatures. The simplest one lets your writer create a signature using their mouse.

So the website helps my letter writer do the signature on their website and they don't have to do it outside by themselves right?

Yes, Interfolio gives writers three options:

- fax the signed letter to them
- scan & upload
- create a "written" signature with their mouse online.

Yes, Interfolio gives writers three options:

- fax the signed letter to them
- scan & upload
- create a "written" signature with their mouse online.

+1 same for VeCollect

Most of my recommendation writers printed out the letter, signed it by pen, then scanned to PDF. One of them used the adobe acrobat signature tool to make a digital signature. I have yet to hear any objections.