AMCAS Letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kinocilium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm sending out e-mails to the people I want letters from and I want to be able to give them instructions on how to submit their letters. I found the how-to on the AMCAS site but it says I need to give them the letter ID, but I can't find any info on how to get that. Do I have to enter in the information about the letter on the application itself before I get the ID? That seems weird because then I have to wait until they agree to write a letter before I can give them the information on how to submit. Am I missing something or is this how everyone does it?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, yes. The first thing you do is fill out the name and all the contact info for your letter writer on-line. AMCAS then creates a pdf form that you can print or email with the letter ID and instructions on how/where to send the LOR. Please note that this letter ID is not the same as your AMCAS ID and will be different for each letter writer you have.