AMCAS LOWERED MY GPA!!! Anybody else??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesypuffs

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to gather some idea of how much people got screwed by AMCAS for the 2002 entering class. They lowered one of my GPA's (not THAT much, but enough to make my first decimal place go down) because they screwed up on my verification. They did not fix it until 10 months later - HA! the application process is nearly over!

Please please let me know what other problems you've had. This is very important to me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a few trival (sarcasm) problems....

They changed my name on my application and it took 3 months to get them to put my name under my social security number. No big deal...right? At least that is what they would tell me during every long distance phon call to them.

Oh yeah, and another "small" problem (sarcasm)... They held my application and refused to process it from June 23 (when I submitted to them) till November. It was not until my lawyer threatened them with a lawsuit did they finally deceide to process my application.

Yikes Cheesypuff, you have opened old wounds!!!!!

I will start keeping my fingers crossed for all you soon to be victims of the AMCAS MONSTER :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :oops:

One of my friends had his GPA lowered by 0.6 units as a results of an AMCAS mistake. He applied to 27 schools and didn't get a single interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey PatDaddy,

Can you tell more info. about what your friend did. Did s/he contact an attorney? How long until AMCAS responded? More info. would help. Thanks again.

Well AMCAS gave me a GPA of 0.0. I called a bunch of times to see if they could fix it, but no one there had any idea what the problem was. Eventually I gave up and submitted it sometime in September, and it corrected itself a couple months later when AMCAS finally verified my application.

four classes i took in paris were marked pass/fail even though i sent them the transcript with letter grades, so it looks like i took half my junior year pass/fail. :mad: i had to send transcripts to all the schools that hadn't yet rejected me by the time i realized their mistake, and i wrote them an email to complain, via their complaint system, and never got a reply. i still got five interviews, no acceptances yet, but i'll keep hoping for as long as i can.

amcas will definely give me a lower science gpa than i feel i deserve! i did really well in my pre-med science classes but unfortunately got two b's in upper level chem courses second semester senior year. (i was a chem major). also, i went abroad my junior year and did well in my science classes. unfortunately, all those grades will be counted as pass/fail by amcas. they don't even want me to send my transcript!

AMCAS lowered my science gpa in the tenths colomn, because they deleted courses that I had taken post-bacc AFTER I submitted my application. They still haven't changed it despite my emails, calls and threats. If anyone has any suggestions short of getting a lawyer, I would much appreciate it!!
Thanks

Hearing all these horror stories, I cant imagine having to go through any of this. I definetly dont look forward to using the AMCAS

AMCAS reported my MCAT verbal score as an 8 when it is actually an 11! Luckily, I caught this mistake early (also a mistake on the part of MCAT), but it sure annoyed the hell out of me. :)

AMCAS really screwed people over. how about a class action lawsuit?

my friend had an old mcat score submitted.

i was a lucky one, i got through w/o much problems other than logging in at 4 am on sundays.

I initially was rejected from 3 schools because AMCAS reported that I hadn't taken 2nd semester physics. Although eventually my candidacy was reinstated at one school of the 3 schools, and AMCAS (4 months later) corredted the ommission, they never factored the A I earned into my BCPM gpa.

Yeah a class action lawsuit to get back maybe half of the fee.

That would be nice

AK

•••quote:•••Originally posted by cheesypuffs:
•Hey PatDaddy,

Can you tell more info. about what your friend did. Did s/he contact an attorney? How long until AMCAS responded? More info. would help. Thanks again.•••••Sorry, I don't know the details.

My graduate school GPA was listed as 0.4 lower than it actually was (3.45 instead of 3.85 or so). I emailed AMCAS, called them, begged them, and pleaded, but in the end, the "verified" GPA stood. I logged on last week just to look and it's still there. Fortunately, I got in to some schools that I really like, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that things might have been smoother sailing with a different GPA. AMCAS basically made up new grades that don't match the ones on my transcript...At first, I was mad, but I guess it's just a fact of life that not everyone does their job well. Grrr...Better luck this year to all of you applying!

Sadly, I failed a P/F Genetics course I took my senior year. (Ironically, I didn't even need the credits) Since it was P/F, AMCAS shouldn't have included it in my BCPM GPA, but instead put it under the supplemental category. They did factor it in though and it lowered my already pathetic GPA by 0.3. Everytime I called AMCAS, a rep would tell me that they'd fix it. Finally they verified my app with the mistake. When I called in post-verification, they told me I should've reported the error via the website. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I drafted a letter, affixed copies of all my contact with AMCAS and mailed AND faxed the packet to AMCAS. Then, two months later, after I gave up, I got half my fee refunded ($300). Obviously AMCAS is broken, but at least someone inside is trying.

Are any schools out there taking direct applications? Or do we all get to walk the AMCAS plank? Not looking forward to this!!! With 30,000 applying to med schools each year I think the best "ambulance" chasing a lawyer could do would be to follow this application process... :oops:

How do you all catch these mistakes? Are you able to see the final AMCAS application version that they send out to the schools? Sorry...I'm new to this whole AMCAS craziness.

Of the schools to which I applied, only UCSF had a separate application (though they still wanted you AMCAS, they just used your info as "truth" for initial decisions). However, several requested copies of my ACMAS app directly from me which had correct grades and info because it was not yet verified.

And yes, you get an email once the verification has taken place. You can login and print a new copy of your application and also see what exciting changes they may have made to your grades/courses, etc by looking at the little x, /, and other symbols in final column of the grades section.

Check carefully! They deleted one of the schools I attended (and they had a transcript in hand, so it wasn't an error on my part). Just be very diligent and keep checking for new errors at each step of the way...

at which point in the process don u send letters of rec? do u send them to the school u apply to?

also, does study abroad never count?