AMCAS/MCAT release problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C U in MD school

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked my application today. They put in all my MCAT scores. I did not release one of them. Anyone else having this problem or know what to do? If so, please let me know. Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

call them up and ask :(

best I can offer

what do you mean, you didn't 'release' them? AMCAS will automatically list all MCAT scores from the past three years. do you mean that you checked the box at the end of the test to not have the test scored? i wasn't even aware that there was still a score release option for the MCAT; i thought that they did away with that. but it's very possible that i'm wrong here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my test scored but NOT released. but on my application they input all my scores. :mad:

Originally posted by C U in MD school:
•I had my test scored but NOT released. but on my application they input all my scores. :mad:

That sure sounds like a major screw up.... email and call.... Any means to get this thing "unscrewed"

just want to keep my topic alive, so anyone else with this problem or am I the only one AMCAS decided to black ball?

You'll have to call/email. As an aside, why did you choose not to release?

Thanx pendulum... that is great info. I am on hold now with AMCAS. So, submit your application anyway?

PLEASE LET US KNOW AS SOON AS YOU FIND OUT ;)

moo, I didnt have my scores released bc they were not very good. I was told that you should always hold them and decide later.

How could you apply to med school and at the same time expect your MCAT scores to be released? Obviously, AMCAS is going to list your MCAT scores on your application, which is good, since no school will consider your application without them. I thought that the release was for things like academic advisors, demographic data, etc.

No pre-hawkdoc... one of the the release option is for YOU. It gives you a little protection.

OK, but I still don't understand how you could apply through AMCAS and expect them to not release your scores.

I don't get it either. If you have the test scored, the med schools get to see it. At least, that's how I understand it. Otherwise, why would schools ever see anything other than your best score? For example, wouldn't you not release later scores if they weren't as good as your first ones? Please explain.

Originally posted by Barton:
•I don't get it either. If you have the test scored, the med schools get to see it. At least, that's how I understand it. Otherwise, why would schools ever see anything other than your best score? For example, wouldn't you not release later scores if they weren't as good as your first ones? Please explain.•

Just because you have the test scored does not necessarily mean that anyone gets to see it. I believe the issue with not releasing test scores is timing. When you do decide to have them released, it's like you are a step behind. For some people, waiting to release is a good option if they are unsure of their scores. For most(?) people, if you are confident that you will have decent scores, you release the scores before taking the MCAT to save time and all the hassle.

In the end, I believe whether you release or not, you still have to be honest about how many MCATs you took and when. What I'm not sure about, though, is if people have access to this information.

Members don't see this ad :)
You still know what you received on the MCAT, but to my understanding, the schools will NOT know your scores on that particular test. As far as I know, on past AMCAS applications, "NOT RELEASED" was printed under the test date.

CU, I submitted my application July 1st. I am not the authority on this, but I would recommend you submit your application...the sooner you submit, the more advantageous.
Haven't received that phone call yet...

pendulum... I called AMCAS today. the stupid lady had no idea what she was talking about. at the end of the conversation she said that she was just hired last week :mad: anyway, I got mad, spoke to the superv., after being placed on hold longer, he said it was their mistake. they "will download the application and work on it, and they will sent a letter out to med schools requesting to not look at that score" yeah, that will do me alot of good! :mad: I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!
Let me know when you get a phone call. i just want to know what they tell you.

I thought that if you do not release scores, when you do actually release them, the schools will get access to ALL of your scores, even the test on which you've chosen to not previously release. Am I correct? In other words, once your test is scored, eventually, if you decide to apply to med school, every school will have access to all of your scores regardless.

No moo! that is not correct. you have the choice of showing schools the scores you want them to see. That was my plan. not anymore, thanx to AMCAS :mad:

Originally posted by C U in MD school:
•No moo! that is not correct. you have the choice of showing schools the scores you want them to see. That was my plan. not anymore, thanx to AMCAS :mad:

While this may be possible, it is unadvisable. More than one admissions person has said that they would rather see poor scores followed by good scores than good scores preceded by "SCORES NOT RELEASED" (or something to that effect). In their eyes, not releasing your scores is kinda like pleading the fifth--it looks like you have something to hide and raises suspicions. Something for you to ponder...

I have one thought:

YOU CAN'T TRUST THE PEOPLE AT AMCAS!!!

GGGRRRRRR!!!!!!

:mad:
:(
:rolleyes:

Things will get better. The entire AMCAS staff is not comprised of nitwits.

:p
:)
;)

pendulum... AMCAS is sooooooooo stupid. I have a feeling that I'm F@%cked! :mad:

CU,
Just out of curiosity, since I'm not following your problem, I was wondering why you're so certain you have anything to worry about.

Correct me where I'm wrong here:
1) AMCAS has not yet transmitted applications to schools--only names and addresses.

2) AMCAS is aware of your problem and is going to fix it soon (presumably before transmission starts)

If 1 and 2 are true, you might be okay, right?

Or is it the case that AMCAS has already transmitted MCAT scores?

hoping for the best,
--kris

hey kris,
I wish things with AMCAS were that simple.
They have trans. some applications to school. some people who filed way before others still have not be processed. so, u dont really have a good idea of where you are in the process. all that, added up leads to one scared :confused: , confused :confused: and just flat out mad :mad: pre-med here. I HATE AMCAS!

just want to keep this topic alive. any progress anyone?

just want to report to all in this situation... talked to MCAT and AMCAS people on thurs, they both wrote my number down and told me that they will contact me by the end of the day. neither called. I should have known better.

Hey bro,

Just watned to ssay I feel your pain...and about that calling you back ****....

I called them 3 months ago on what happened to my mcat score being release...cuz it was taking them forever......they said we will call you back and talk to u....

of course, 3 months later, I just got a letter saying my mcat was released! never got a call from someone.....so I am basically telling you (although it is bad nes :( that the calling **** is a bunch of boloney...

they don't call and they don't give a damn....I think you should call again before they transmit it and speak to the supervisor....

Thanx MoeDaMan! I'm gonna call their them this Friday. Good thing i got their names. I will hunt them down. :D this is one premed they never should have F*&CKed with. :mad:

ok, i feel like im talking to myself people. so, i think i will let this topic die and just deal with this problem. just for the record... I hate AMCAS.

Hey there CU: I just checked my application and the exact same thing has just happened to me, so you are NOT alone! I have tried repeatedly to get in touch with AMCAS, to no avail (on hold for 7 hours, yes, 7). Do you know how to go about correcting this MAJOR screw up? I am FURIOUS about this as well. :mad:

Anyway, I hope things are working out on your application because I know for sure that I am just getting screwed over by AMCAS. :rolleyes:

praying4MD sorry to hear about your bad news. Im not sure what to do... i called twice, was told I would even get a call back... nothing. if they release our scores without our permission i think that we can take them to the court :D
let me know if you hear anyhting. As soon i make any progress i will keep you posted. peace out for now