AMCAS/MCAT retaking advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TakoCA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken some summer science classes that have helped out my GPA. Grades will be out on my transcript this week, so I've been waiting until now to submit my AMCAS. Problem is, I was originally thinking about retaking the August 2006 MCAT (I had a 35R previously) but am seriously reconsidering whether it's smart to do so because 1) my apps won't be considered until October when the August score comes in, which is a disadvantage in rolling admissions and 2) I'm not sure if my MCAT studying is enough to get significantly higher scores.

My MCAT score is pretty good as it is, but since the rest of my application is fairly average, I was hoping to get a much higher score to boost my stats a bit. So my question is: if I take the August 2006 MCAT like I had planned, my application wouldn't even be considered until the scores are released in October right? But if I submit the AMCAS next week, with all the processing delays involved and secondary apps to complete, would that give me much of an advantage anyway? Should I just go ahead and retake the MCAT anyway? I need some advice, many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

TakoCA said:
I've taken some summer science classes that have helped out my GPA. Grades will be out on my transcript this week, so I've been waiting until now to submit my AMCAS. Problem is, I was originally thinking about retaking the August 2006 MCAT (I had a 35R previously) but am seriously reconsidering whether it's smart to do so because 1) my apps won't be considered until October when the August score comes in, which is a disadvantage in rolling admissions and 2) I'm not sure if my MCAT studying is enough to get significantly higher scores.

My MCAT score is pretty good as it is, but since the rest of my application is fairly average, I was hoping to get a much higher score to boost my stats a bit. So my question is: if I take the August 2006 MCAT like I had planned, my application wouldn't even be considered until the scores are released in October right? But if I submit the AMCAS next week, with all the processing delays involved and secondary apps to complete, would that give me much of an advantage anyway? Should I just go ahead and retake the MCAT anyway? I need some advice, many thanks.
are you serious?

TakoCA said:

Send in your AMCAS!!! For the love of God do not retake the MCAT with a 35R. You will do yourself much more good by getting your application in now than waiting for August MCAT when you are already in the top 10% of applicants anyway. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, that's what I was thinking. I know it's silly to think about retaking with a 35R, but the rest of my app is average so I was just hoping I could stand out a little bit more with a higher MCAT.

I'm just concerned if the delays in AMCAS processing and otherwise would bring me up to the October point anyway, but I think I'll go ahead and work on the AMCAS.

TakoCA said:
Thank you, that's what I was thinking. I know it's silly to think about retaking with a 35R, but the rest of my app is average so I was just hoping I could stand out a little bit more with a higher MCAT.
I think you'll find very few people, if any, retake on a 35 and score higher. Run with it.

I think you should retake the MCAT. A 35R is good but it isnt as good as a 37 or a 38. Right? Who gets into medical school with a 35 anyway?

I think you should take the advice of one pre-med machine:

If you can't get above a 38 then you should seriously consider whether or not you're capable of practicing medicine.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I think you should retake the MCAT. A 35R is good but it isnt as good as a 37 or a 38. Right? Who gets into medical school with a 35 anyway?

Great advice Dr. TobiasFünke! I totally agree. Everyone should keep retaking the MCAT until they get a score in the 40's.

ChymeChancellor said:
Great advice Dr. TobiasFünke! I totally agree. Everyone should keep retaking the MCAT until they get a score in the 40's.
Actually, you can get in to some state schools in the south with 38's and 39's. Let's not frighten people unnecessarily.

I heard a rumor about a guy getting into a DO school with a 37.

He had won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, though, so that helped.

Silly, silly thread. It's much better to apply early with a 35 then to apply late with a 37. Plus, wouldn't you feel dumb if you ended up blanking on the test and getting a god awful score?

TakoCA said:

I read a statistical analysis that revealed that the majority of people who have a 35 on the MCAT do significantly worse if they retake the exam... Some people of course get a better score but most people actually receive a lower score. It is likely that you will hurt your score if you take the MCAT again plus you have to factor in applying late in the cycle which is not good.

Bottom line: learn to love your 35.

Searun

DoctorNick83 said:
Silly, silly thread. It's much better to apply early with a 35 then to apply late with a 37. Plus, wouldn't you feel dumb if you ended up blanking on the test and getting a god awful score?

35 is god awful

Hmmm...you have got to be kidding me.
Has anyone ever repeated the exam with a 35R??

WildTumor said:
Hmmm...you have got to be kidding me.
Has anyone ever repeated the exam with a 35R??

This is SDN, silly ;) I know a girl who retook the SATs. 1590 wasn't good enough for her. What perfectionism will do to you..

TakoCA said:

Statstically, you have a much lower chance of scoring above a 35 as it is (see: regressions towards the mean). Imagine the angst you would feel if you actually scored lower, that would really suck

I can taste the sarcasm. I would kill for your score. Literally.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

Seriously. I got a 40T and I had mono and terrible stomach flu that day. I'm retaking in August just to see if I can get a 45T when I DON'T have the squirts and swollen lymph nodes.

In other words, stfu NOOB!!! :laugh: :thumbup: