1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

AMCAS or Secondary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drumming207, Sep 23, 2002.

1. drumming207

drumming207 Sucka Foo
    7+ Year Member

It seems like some schools only look at secondaries and not the AMCAS app, is this true? I am applying to a handful of school and on many websites it states that the supplemental app will be photocopied and given to the admissions board. Do they do the same with the AMCAS app or is this app only necessary for preliminary screening like the websites imply-- is AMCAS not scrutinized as much as the secondaries? I am just curious...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It would be kind of absurd for schools not to look at the AMCAS because it has the personal statement, not to mention the grades that you have earned throughout your entire career as a student. Some schools even invite applicants for interviews without them having sent a secondary, I know for sure that Vandy does this. So, my opinion is that the AMCAS is weighed much more heavily than secondaries. Secondaries just supplement the AMCAS by giving the committees a more general view of an applicant, ie. by having them write more essays. But then there are schools that either don't have a secondary (Boston University) to those that have secondaries that just ask you to write your name (CMS)

4. drumming207

drumming207 Sucka Foo
    7+ Year Member

thanks, that's what i figured-- i just wanted to ask around...

:D

5. SolidGold

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You know what too, I get kind of annoyed when a school asks for us to fill out our grades on a secondary. Isn't all of that on our AMCAS anyway? Seems like a waste of time and paper to me. Just doesn't seem like common sense. Is there any good reason at all to do this?

6. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    to make it seem like it's important, instead of a letter saying "send us your money"

7. SolidGold

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I guess thats true because I had a much easier time writing out a big check after actually doing some work on a secondary.

8. applejuice1979

applejuice1979 Patiently Waiting Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone. This is my first time responding on SDN. I'm so happy. I guess I have a similar question b/c I've gotten secondaries from schools and my AMCAS application has not been verified yet. One of the secondaries basically asks the same question as the AMCAS essay. Most of the others ask me to input my grades. It's annoying b/c they might not offer me an interview based off of my AMCAS app & they've already collected my money

9. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    welcome to SDN applejuice1979 :) let the addiction begin.....