AMCAS Parent Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godawgs39

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a unique situation and I don't really know how to go about it with AMCAS.

I was raised by my grandparents...my grandma is a retired caregiver and my grandfather passed away in September.

I think I can handle that...but here's where I get stuck...I don't really know my mom, but I'm getting to know her. My Dad, well, he's kinda in prison and has been for the past 21 years. I have a great relationship with him, so it's not as if I don't consider him a parent, unlike my mom. How should I put him into the system? Maybe put "other" and say he's been a full-time inmate since '84?

Members don't see this ad.

I just wouldn't put anything in. You don't have to put in parent data.

GPACfan said:
I just wouldn't put anything in. You don't have to put in parent data.

I dissagree, I think that, assuming you have everything else in the right place, admissions committiees will view your parental situation, especially with a parent in jail, as an obstical which you overcame (be it percieved by you or not). It may therefore be to your advantage to include that information, and even subtely highlight it, as it may suggests you can handle and overcome adversity.

just my two, grammatically and speltastically atrocious cents.

B

Members don't see this ad :)
windzilla said:
grammatically and speltastically atrocious cents.

glad to see you realize that...

Agree with Windzilla.

There is room for 3 or 4 parents so list your grandmother, grandfather, mother and dad. It will highlight your unusual circumstance and may help an adcom have a better understanding of your situation.

Thank you for the responses. I plan on talking about the situation in my PS because it was an obstacle for me and even moreso, without knowledge of the situation it would be difficult to really understand the person that I am today.

I guess my question is mainly, what do I put in the box for my Dad after I select "Other" for him. Inmate? Pro-Inmate? Jailbird? Jailhouse Rocker? Long time cell occupant/tenant? ;)

godawgs39 said:
I guess my question is mainly, what do I put in the box for my Dad after I select "Other" for him. Inmate? Pro-Inmate? Jailbird? Jailhouse Rocker? Long time cell occupant/tenant? ;)

You should consider what an appropriate tone would be. If you put something like "Jailhouse Rocker" I would be a little concerned that the adcoms may not have the same sense of humor when they read this...

Maybe go conservative on paper, just put "prison inmate", and then in an interview setting you can talk about it in a positive light, highlighting your abilities to overcome serious adversities. You can let your sense of humor shine through in the interview, and it will impress them by showing that you are a very positive person.

What about "unemployed?" I was going to suggest writting about it in the "weird childhood" section (I forget if there is a disadvantaged explanation or what it was called....), but I think a personal statement probably is a much better solution.

:)

Best of luck!

crazy_cavalier said:
You should consider what an appropriate tone would be. If you put something like "Jailhouse Rocker" I would be a little concerned that the adcoms may not have the same sense of humor when they read this...

Maybe go conservative on paper, just put "prison inmate", and then in an interview setting you can talk about it in a positive light, highlighting your abilities to overcome serious adversities. You can let your sense of humor shine through in the interview, and it will impress them by showing that you are a very positive person.