AMCAS post-sec experiences contact info?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qweewq11, Sep 8, 2002.

1. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

In the AMCAS post-secondary experiences section, there are blanks for "contact name" and "contact title." These fields are not "required." Did you folks put contact info for all these? For which ones did you put contact info (ie, is it useful to put on for "Dean's List?"

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. qweewq11

7+ Year Member

4. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I put contact info for everything. For the Dean's List I just put the name of the assistant Dean, because she is the one who signed the letter I got when I made the Dean's List.

5. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    some of my immediate supervisors are no longer with the respective organizations, so I just put down the CEO/President/whatever. I figure if anybody wants to check they'll just have to work their way down.

6. qweewq11

7+ Year Member

Cool, thanks!

So it seems like the consensus is to put down contact info for every listing. Any further comments?

7. coredump

coredump Member
    10+ Year Member

hey guys,

Sorry to dig this thread up, but I had a related question:

How exactly will they verify any of these experiences? I hope I'm not missing anything, but it simply asks for a name; not a phone number, email, etc. Do they really follow-up?

I'm part of a national society (ACM), and there's no real 'contact' person that can verify my membership...:confused:

thanks in advance!

8. bosco

10+ Year Member

I'm interested in hearing people's responses to this... I don't see how they could verify these for all the applicants.

9. BioChemDork

BioChemDork ASA Member
    15+ Year Member

I'm guessing that the do a random spot check on a random sample. Like 5% of the stuff submitted or something. I mean, chances are, if somebody lied, they'd lie again, and so they'll get caught eventually.

10. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

Most probably do NOT check. But maybe some do just for giggles, or sometimes if they don't believe you. Or maybe you are borderline and they want to talk to your references to get a better idea. These are all possible... I'm not saying these things actually happen. At the very least, it forces you to be honest, because IF they wanted to check up on you, then they have the means to do so.

My points in all this are:
    1. don't lie unless you want to take the risk, however remote
    2. don't worry about things where there are lack of appropriate references; it's mostly to keep you honest, not to check up on every activity of every applicant.

11. coredump

coredump Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree - there's no way for them to check up on you. I figure they might once you've been accepted - there's no real point in checking references of someone who will be rejected anyways.

This is odd, since it really has potential for abuse.

(sorry, trained as an engineer - designed to find flaws in process). ;)

12. koma

koma Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought the whole contact info is to put your recommendations in context. That way they can match the rec to the experience, or something like that.