AMCAS post-sec experiences contact info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the AMCAS post-secondary experiences section, there are blanks for "contact name" and "contact title." These fields are not "required." Did you folks put contact info for all these? For which ones did you put contact info (ie, is it useful to put on for "Dean's List?"

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I put contact info for everything. For the Dean's List I just put the name of the assistant Dean, because she is the one who signed the letter I got when I made the Dean's List.

Members don't see this ad :)
some of my immediate supervisors are no longer with the respective organizations, so I just put down the CEO/President/whatever. I figure if anybody wants to check they'll just have to work their way down.

Cool, thanks!

So it seems like the consensus is to put down contact info for every listing. Any further comments?

hey guys,

Sorry to dig this thread up, but I had a related question:

How exactly will they verify any of these experiences? I hope I'm not missing anything, but it simply asks for a name; not a phone number, email, etc. Do they really follow-up?

I'm part of a national society (ACM), and there's no real 'contact' person that can verify my membership...:confused:

thanks in advance!

Originally posted by coredump
hey guys,

Sorry to dig this thread up, but I had a related question:

How exactly will they verify any of these experiences? I hope I'm not missing anything, but it simply asks for a name; not a phone number, email, etc. Do they really follow-up?

I'm part of a national society (ACM), and there's no real 'contact' person that can verify my membership...:confused:

thanks in advance!

I'm interested in hearing people's responses to this... I don't see how they could verify these for all the applicants.

Most probably do NOT check. But maybe some do just for giggles, or sometimes if they don't believe you. Or maybe you are borderline and they want to talk to your references to get a better idea. These are all possible... I'm not saying these things actually happen. At the very least, it forces you to be honest, because IF they wanted to check up on you, then they have the means to do so.

My points in all this are:
1. don't lie unless you want to take the risk, however remote
2. don't worry about things where there are lack of appropriate references; it's mostly to keep you honest, not to check up on every activity of every applicant.

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree - there's no way for them to check up on you. I figure they might once you've been accepted - there's no real point in checking references of someone who will be rejected anyways.

This is odd, since it really has potential for abuse.

(sorry, trained as an engineer - designed to find flaws in process). ;)

I thought the whole contact info is to put your recommendations in context. That way they can match the rec to the experience, or something like that.